The Warlocks Den - WoW Warlock DiscussionsThe Warlocks Den - WoW Warlock Discussions

Member Login
Forgot Password?

Please Register to Remove these Ads

The Warlocks Den - WoW Warlock Discussions » The Archives » The Library » General Guides » How To Drain Soul, A Screenshot Tutorial

General Guides WTB l33t Abr Exp plz! Have no idea what that means? In here you'll find all sorts of 'information' guides - from explaining abbreviations, to A Collector's Guide to Non-Com/Small Pets and the Ten Reasons to Play a Warlock poem.

Comment
How To Drain Soul, A Screenshot Tutorial
Published by Dpartd
February 15, 2009
Last Updated
April 23, 2009

Edit 4/23/09: ForteXorcist cast bar takes all pushback into account (currently, this is the only mod that shows both pushback and tick marks at the same time).

I have seen a lot of heartburn regarding Drain Soul and how to properly execute the spell in a boss encounter. Because of this, I would like to show you exactly how to setup two mods which will help improve your, Affliction Warlock, DPS dramatically.

First and foremost, download and install the two mods (Drain Soul Warning and ForteXorcist) found here:

Drain Soul Warning - Addons - Curse
ForteXorcist (ForteWarlock) : WoWInterface Downloads : Warlock

Get both of these mods up and running in WoW. The following will show you exactly how to Setup your mods in the WoW UI to get the most out of them.

First, go into your ForteXorcist options by typing "/fortexorcist" in your chat bar.

Then, click on the "Spell Timer" button on the bottom of the ForteXorcist Options panel.

Then, make sure that the "Enable" and "Show Ticks" boxes are checked. Finally, scroll down a bit in the ForteXorcist Options panel and ensure that the "Drain" button is checked.

Now, I arrange these two mods right underneath my Quartz mod so they are clearly visible throughout a Boss Fight. As soon as the Drain Soul Warning turns Red and says "Drain Soul!" I immediately switch from using Shadow Bolt as my main filler to Drain Soul to the end of a boss encounter. And, with ForteXorcist setup exactly how I laid out step-by-step above, you will only see the ForteXorcist mod when you begin to cast Drain Soul. You will also now see each Tick Mark of Drain Soul so you will never clip a tick when you need to reapply your falling off DoTs. This setup will ensure that you maximize all your Drain Soul Ticks in a boss fight.

In combat, final product:

One last point to remember, treat each Drain Soul Tick as a separate cast. That should help you visualize and prioritize your spell casting during the last 25% of a boss fight.
Member rating
Quality of Information
86.6%86.6%86.6%
Format/Layout
93.4%93.4%93.4%
Easy to Understand
100%100%100%
Overall Rating
93.4%93.4%93.4%
3 users rated 93% average
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dpartd For This Useful Post:
Old February 16, 2009, 11:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

Character Info
Kiralyn
80 Human Warlock
Mal'Ganis US PvP
Guild: Self Titled
Profile: Blizzard Armory
Re: How To Drain Soul, A Screenshot Tutorial

Great guide! Drain Soul is a huge contributer to DPS these days, and using it is important.

I won't go into a ton of detail, but I have a more lightweight approach based on how I play during that last 25%. What I did was install MSBT and set a couple custom warnings. First, I have my drain soul warning that goes off at 25%. This is easily setup by modifying the default warrior execute warning under triggers. I added a sound to this, and I also have the boss HP percentage displayed on my target frame.

The next thing I did was add a Drain Soul Hit event to MSBT. This has a sound and a bold pop-up whenever my drain soul ticks. Yes, this is mildly annoying when not in a bossfight, but it gets the job done.

My theory behind this setup is that below 25%, my eyes aren't on my cast bar, but on my timers. I need to know at what point to drop my channel and start casting DoTs again. I found the pop-up warning and noise to work better than a cast bar, so that I can focus my eyes on just timers and count on my ears to queue drain soul. I find that it's more important to know that after your next tick you need to cast dots, as opposed to knowing when exactly that next tick is coming.

lb1
Old February 16, 2009, 11:25 AM   #2 (permalink)

Character Info
Vitriola
85 Human Warlock
gorgonash US PvP
Guild: Tempest
Talent Tree: Destruction

I have heard that drain execute does not start working when the mob gets to 25% but when it is BELOW 25%. i.e. 24.99% or less

is that true?
Old February 16, 2009, 11:50 AM   #3 (permalink)

Character Info
Darksumoner
80 Human Warlock
Tanaris US PvE
Guild: Samsara

Yes that is true Vit
Old February 16, 2009, 12:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

Character Info
Fataldamage
80 Human Warlock
Black Dragonflight US PvP

...........or

you could just install this DrainSoulTimer : WoWInterface Downloads : Warlock

that gives you a visual indication ("!Drain Soul!") every time DS ticks and gives you an audio warning at 25% of the mob's health.
fatal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2009, 04:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Character Info
Dpartd
80 Gnome Warlock
Deathwing US PvP
Guild: Inertia

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatal View Post
...........or

you could just install this DrainSoulTimer : WoWInterface Downloads : Warlock

that gives you a visual indication ("!Drain Soul!") every time DS ticks and gives you an audio warning at 25% of the mob's health.
Yes, there are multiple ways you can use Drain Soul.

The problem with DrainSoulTimer, in my eyes, is this:

You only see Drain Soul ticks *after* they happen and, therefore, there is no way to anticipate when these ticks will occur in the future.

The beauty of using ForteXorcist instead of a scrolling combat text type notification is that you will have the ability to anticipate future Drain Soul ticks and can more effficiently plan when you will stop channeling Drain Soul to recast your other spells.
Dpartd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2009, 10:44 AM   #6 (permalink)

So, question.... I use quartz as my casting bar. Is forteXorcist able to completely replace that and work as a casting bar also?
Fallenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2009, 11:30 AM   #7 (permalink)

Character Info
Kharza
80 Human Warlock
The Forgotten Coast US PvP
Guild: Malum Factum

So along these same lines one of my favorite add-ons for afflication is PolMonitor. In combination with your favorite DoT Timer this will monitor the debuffs on a target and light up an icon of the spell that isn't on the target. So when things get hectic in a fight and you might "lose" track of your rotation and the DoTs may have fallen off the timer area, this gives you a quick snapshot of what debuffs you need on the target. Once you cast the spell the icon fades into black until it falls off again. You can also use this interface to click on the icon and it will cast the spell for you. I don't use the click so much since I keybind but might be helpful to folks.

I organized my debuff monitors in priority of spell importance so anything I see "light up" from left to right gets addressed. This in combination with a good DoT timer should help you keep good uptimes.
KharzaXo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2009, 01:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

Character Info
Dpartd
80 Gnome Warlock
Deathwing US PvP
Guild: Inertia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallenman View Post
So, question.... I use quartz as my casting bar. Is forteXorcist able to completely replace that and work as a casting bar also?
No, ForteXorcist does not function like a casting bar unfortunately.

If the mod writers of Quartz can figure out a way to make channeling spells' tick marks show, innately within the mod, then I will absolutely switch to using one cast bar.

Remember, you will only see the ForteXorcist Drain Soul bar when you channel Drain Soul or Drain Life. Otherwise, it's completely hidden.

Last edited by Dpartd; February 17, 2009 at 01:58 PM..
Dpartd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2009, 01:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

Character Info
Morbidmike
80 Undead Warlock
Spinebreaker Euro PvP
Guild: Premade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallenman View Post
FX is a dot timer not a cast bar.
@ OP nice tutorial! I have been trying to use this as well but it simply doesn't work great @ 2 or 3 FPS ( )