The Warlocks Den - WoW Warlock DiscussionsThe Warlocks Den - WoW Warlock Discussions

Member Login
Forgot Password?

Please Register to Remove these Ads

The Warlocks Den - WoW Warlock Discussions » Discussion Forums » User Interface, Add-ons and Macros » Good addon list

User Interface, Add-ons and Macros For any User Interface (UI), Add-on or Macro Customization and assistance.

Old July 07, 2008, 01:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Character Info
kopite
80 Gnome Warlock
bladefist Euro PvP
Guild: Continuum
Profile: Blizzard Armory
Good addon list

Hi guys,

I have been playing a warlock since I started on wow a few years ago but up until now I have pretty much always used the standard UI with only a few addons (auctioneer, quest helper cartographer)

Everytime i`ve shown screenshots I`ve taken to other people they always comment on how bad the Ui i`m using is.

Reading around it would see that using the standard Ui is gonna put me at a disadvantage especially on PVP server so basically Im looking for a bit of help setting up a decent Addon set.

What should I be using are there any good guides out there to get me started?

My lock spec is World of Warcraft Europe - Talents if this makes any difference

Thanks guys
kopite is offline   Reply With Quote
Recommended Guide

lb1
Old July 07, 2008, 01:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

Character Info
Medaho
80 Human Warlock
Earthen Ring US RP
Re: Good addon list

I'd suggest you start with this link
Recommended Add-ons

Install the add-ons and get used to the play. You can them modify your overall UI look and feel by adding something like Bongos or Xperl as well.
Medaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 07, 2008, 01:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Character Info
kopite
80 Gnome Warlock
bladefist Euro PvP
Guild: Continuum

Thanks i just noticed that thread after I posted this.

Out of Xperl and bongos which would you say is the best for changing the UI look?
kopite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 07, 2008, 02:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

There are ready made UI's out there available for download at places like Curse and WoWInterface. Many people here have posted screenshots of their UIs and some have made them available. Many of them quite good. Of course, you can also make your own from scratch. Figure out want you want to see on your screen and what you want to be able to do and go from there. Fiddling with UIs can be quite addicting (and can take a lot of time from actually playing the game).

*** Information added 2 Minutes and 28 Seconds later... ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopite View Post
Thanks i just noticed that thread after I posted this.

Out of Xperl and bongos which would you say is the best for changing the UI look?
Bongos is your action bars and Xperl is unit frames (I think exclusively). So, it's not a one or the other type thing. I don't use Xperl I use Pitbull, which I prefer, but others may differ.
fresnosmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 07, 2008, 02:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Character Info
Lavath
85 Blood Elf Warlock
Shadow Council US RP Talent Tree: Destruction

Quote:
Yes, as stated, Bongos is primarily for your action bars (your buttons) and X Perl is for your unit frames (the bars that show your player's/party member's/target's health and mana/energy/rage).

Adding or removing action bars with bongos will likely clean up your UI and add a but more functionality where changing up where your Unit frames are located could help make things you had been missing more obvious.
Lavath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 07, 2008, 03:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

Character Info
Ceausescu
80 Blood Elf Warlock
mug'thol US PvP
Guild: Defiant

I personally use bartender 3, ag_unitframes, and icehud (not to mention a host of other little things.) Those three, however, are the core look of my ui. Well I guess throw in prat for the chat window and fubar.

I had xperl for a while but honestly I liked perl (classic) better. I really hated how xperl positioned buffs/debuffs and little details like that which made it hard for me to see certain key things. I find ag_unitframes much easier to tailor to my taste.
levinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2008, 07:13 AM   #7 (permalink)

Character Info
Vermilya
70 Human Warlock
Kilrogg US PvE
Guild: Lux

Official development/maintenance for Bongos3 has been discontinued, due to time constraints on the author's part. In light of this, I recently made the switch to Bartender 4, which covers the features of Bongos I utilized.

I considered trying out the (lightweight, easier to maintain) prodigy of Bongos, Dominos, but it would have required reworking more of my UI than I care to right now (I'm the type who tweaks with some with their UI elements at least once a week, making the entire thing a permanent WIP).
Vermilya is offline   Reply With Quote