The Warlocks Den - WoW Warlock DiscussionsThe Warlocks Den - WoW Warlock Discussions

Member Login
Forgot Password?

Please Register to Remove these Ads

The Warlocks Den - WoW Warlock Discussions » Discussion Forums » PvP, Battlegrounds & Arenas » Let's talk arena

PvP, Battlegrounds & Arenas One on one dueling to full blown raids, anything PvP!

Old January 21, 2011, 06:57 AM   #31 (permalink)

Character Info
Azhrarn
85 Undead Warlock
Skullcrusher Euro PvE
PvP
Guild: Instant Glory
Profile: Blizzard Armory
Talent Tree: Destruction
4.0 Re: Let's talk arena

i started doing arena's with a Warrior just to gear up and get the weekly cap (which is around 1316 for me) and I heard the cap will get higher when you are at 1400 rating or above. He is pretty undergeared and only around 850 resi, and I am around 2570 still farming honor for gloves, trousers and shoes.
We are just starting to get a hang of it, he keeps off and stuns melee from me, i can dot them and they seem to be squishy for magic damage.

Setups i had problems with are Spriests with other burst damage classes, and also with hunter/DK combo or any other comp with both pets at their arsenal.
They send 2 pets at me, slow, bind or silence me so i can't cast, can't get to my partner and when they kill him it's a loss.

The warrior is gearing up and when he has decent pvp gear we will go serious and use Skype. I also noticed the OP'ness with ferals and how hard it is to get a warrior of your back with it's continous charges/intercepts.

One big think i favor is, I changed my pet to Succy (I am affli). i used to start with felpuppy but it seems too easy to charm a melee, then both turn on the caster (or other melee) and try to kil him fast, while I deathcoil and fear/howl the charmed person.

Also enjoying arena more than during Wrath of the Lich King. It's easy to get cap of CP every week and buy the pvp dagger/offhand and wand

And yeah, Arena Junkies is a GREAT site. Try to lookup good pvp warlocks when you see them doing top damage in bg's to see how they are geared and specced.

lb1
Old January 21, 2011, 07:07 AM   #32 (permalink)

Character Info
Shagina
90 Human Warlock
Grim Batol Euro PvP
Re: Let's talk arena

Warrior/aff is really a weak setup for several reasons, but if you do manage to take it to high ratings then all honor to you. Your greatest problem is that training a warrior is far too easy and you lack the tools to peel effectively. You also lack the burst to simply train a target, being destro or demo might remedy this a bit. The greatest problem is simply that a warrior without a healer is such an easy target that any good players will simply kill your warrior, regardless of his resilience. I guess your best bet is fear spam on the off target while going all out on your primary target, attempting to shut it down completely. I would suggest you go for the healer in healer/dps comps unless it's afflock/healer, then go for the lock and keep dots on both targets.

Also, you get a higher cap above 1500, not 1400.
Old January 21, 2011, 09:22 AM   #33 (permalink)

Character Info
Azhrarn
85 Undead Warlock
Skullcrusher Euro PvE
PvP
Guild: Instant Glory
4.0 Re: Let's talk arena

Ah thanks Dire, I was misinformed on the capraising then.
You are right, I noticed that most comps would directly jump on the warrior. We get a nice selfheal through fel armor and talents but the warrior dies fast. Maybe a better setup would be to do 3v3 with Afflock/Warrior/Holydin to get those heals in.

i will still try to see how high we can get with the 2vs2 comp, it's just for gearing and not serious yet
Old January 24, 2011, 01:17 PM   #34 (permalink)

Character Info
Cripi
85 Undead Warlock
Ragnaros PvE
PvP
Guild: Dragon Knights

Just speced to demo, since the DPS is amazing, im running 2s with a rogue, any pointers??
Cripi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2011, 05:13 PM   #35 (permalink)

Character Info
thinker
85 Human Warlock
echo isles US PvE

The way arena team points are awarded is very confusing. It seems that we have gotten to a point where we have to win twice for every loss just to stay even.
Is it better to play with different members of an existing team or start a new team?
We have sometimes played the same teams repeatedly, and it seems they get 96 points when they win and we 7 when we win.
And when they lose it cost them like 7 but when we lose, we lose 20.
There was a time when we got a lot for our wins and not so punished for our losses.
Once we went noticeably from big gains for wins to very small gains for just two losses in a row.
And we can't seems to get it back.
clydescj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2011, 07:37 PM   #36 (permalink)

Character Info
Sacksmcgee
78 Blood Elf Warlock
Medivh US PvE
Guild: Nobody Cares About PVP

Ok points is sort of complicated, sort of not.

There are two different numbers you have, one is your rating and one is your MMR (match making rating)

Your rating is that awesome number that gets you acheivements like "just the two of us 1800" etc. It goes up and down on each loss, but it isn't based on what rating your opponent has. What it's based off of is what MMR your opponent has. This is also how you get placed against someone.

For example. lets say Joe and Bill are playing at 2750 team rating, they are gladiators, and Bill quits playing the game. Joe decides for fun to get Noobsauce to join his team and start from scratch so he can obliterate terrible players. Right? Not quite. Joe is going to have a very high MMR (somewhere between 2700-2900) and when it balances with Noobsauce's fresh MMR (you always default to 1500 after an MMR reset, which they did 3 weeks into this season) their combined MMR will probably be somewhere around 2k so they will still play higher rated teams.

Now currently the only place to see your MMR is at the end of an arena match (and it just shows your combined rating, not the separate ones for both players if they are different). Thats how you get matched up, and it goes up and down as you beat and lose to opponents just like your team rating. It just keeps high level players from making low teams for fun in crazy good gear and obliterating lowbies.

As for how you get points, a new team starts at 0 team rating. Every loss you get up to 1000 TR loses no pionts and every win gives you around 90-96 points through that initial starting section. Once you hit a TR of around 1200 or so you will start to get points more appropriate to your MMR comparison to the other team. So if you stomp a team that has an MMR 100 points higher than you, you will earn a lot more points than if you beat one 100 points lower than you.

So this wasn't a guide, well thought out or anything, I just tried to answer your qeustion off the top of my head. Hope it helps!
sacksmcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2011, 03:14 PM   #37 (permalink)

Character Info
thinker
85 Human Warlock
echo isles US PvE

Thank you Sacksmcgee.

But we are not seeing the "So if you stomp a team that has an MMR 100 points higher than you, you will earn a lot more points than if you beat one 100 points lower than you.".

It use to be that way but stalled out and now it seems that we have to win twice as many as we lose just to stay even. And there seems to be no consistent relation between the MMR's.

Would there be an advantage to taking the same players and starting a new team to reset the MMR's system because we have seen (we are stuck in the mid 1500s) 1700 teams get 96s and even if we beat a team that is 200 points above us, we only get single digit increases. That happened to us just last week. And when we lose to a team that is 200 points above us, we get double digit decreases.
Old April 25, 2011, 06:15 PM   #38 (permalink)

Character Info
Shagina
90 Human Warlock
Grim Batol Euro PvP

MMR stays through leaving and joining new teams so that wouldn't matter.
Old April 26, 2011, 10:13 AM   #39 (permalink)

Character Info
Sacksmcgee
78 Blood Elf Warlock
Medivh US PvE
Guild: Nobody Cares About PVP

The only thing you could really do is start a new team and then tank your MMR HARD if you wanted to play easier teams for a while while you get used to things. Start the new team, then join and immediately leave games about 10-15 times. This will lower your MMR quite substantially and give you the chance to gain more points in a regular fashion. If I recall correctly, this method should get your MMR to rise more in line with your team rating than if you started right at 1500 (the default after MMR reset). BTW, when I say join/leave, you have to actually enter the arena, but you don't have to wait for the match to start to leave
sacksmcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 08, 2011, 06:07 PM   #40 (permalink)

Character Info
thinker
85 Human Warlock
echo isles US PvE

I just found this blog that is the real answer to the problem (question) i was having with the arena rating system and since no one here came up with this answer, i thought some might find this interesting.

It deals with the way some are manipulating the system (all legal and proper) to get better ratings than they really deserve. I am just not devious enough to have figured it out on my own. And i guess that those who had figured it out were keeping it a secret until now.

The Persistent Problem of PvP Rating Exploits | Cynwise's Battlefield Manual