The Warlocks Den - WoW Warlock DiscussionsThe Warlocks Den - WoW Warlock Discussions

Member Login
Forgot Password?

Please Register to Remove these Ads

The Warlocks Den - WoW Warlock Discussions » Discussion Forums » Instances & Raiding » Best selling points to use a Lock in Raid

Instances & Raiding The PvE side to 80... everything relating to instances and raiding. From Wailing Caverns to Uldaar and beyond!

Old February 17, 2011, 11:05 AM   #21 (permalink)

Character Info
Kyngston
80 Gnome Warlock
Icecrown US PvE
Guild: Select Geeks from WoW
Profile: Blizzard Armory
Talent Tree: Affliction
4.0 Re: Best selling points to use a Lock in Raid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clovendead View Post
Make sure you are keeping track of Damage done and DPS on bosses only trash is trash.

Unless you AOE everything and pop your infernal at every cooldown the melee guys are going to kill you on trash.
If you run with a Druid or Pally tank you will be fighting them as well both due considerable damage on trash mobs.
Our ranged, owns our melee on trash...
World of Logs - Real Time Raid Analysis

But then again, our ranged owns our melee on bosses as well
World of Logs - Real Time Raid Analysis
Kyngston is offline   Reply With Quote
Recommended Guide

lb1
Old February 18, 2011, 02:28 AM   #22 (permalink)

Character Info
Democles
85 Goblin Warlock
Sen'jin US PvE
Guild: Big Crits
Talent Tree: Destruction
Re: Best selling points to use a Lock in Raid

Best thing you can do to get invites as a dps class is be good. Know how to do high DPS, don't stand in bad stuff, come prepared (consumables/enchants/gems/know fight/etc). Listen to directions from raid leader, don't goof off when it's time to be serious, communicate, come to kill bosses.
clavarnway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2011, 05:26 AM   #23 (permalink)

Character Info
Belaide
85 Human Warlock
Nagrand Oceania PvE
Guild: Pinnacle

I'm in the front group for our 10 man progression raid. Here are the things that stand in your way right now: The team is a team already. They know the fights. You don't. New person in the raid = 5 or 6 wipes per boss fight while you learn the strat. They are slowly getting the gear they want. For ranged there will be 3 or 4 people minimum all after the same stuff. If they bring you in now you might get something a regular needs. (My guild has a way to stop this, maybe yours does too). Your DPS sucks if you came in 6 or 7. (No offence). Some of that is down to them knowing the fight and possibly gear. But not all of it. Destro locks are doing awesome dps right now, even with you undergeared you should be able to compete. They aren't that far ahead in gear. They don't want to carry you. They have put in the pain and agony of learning these fights with all of them under-geared. Are you easy to get along with in a raid? Number one reason for not wanting someone in the raid is they are a pain in the *ss. Are you chatty over vent? Do you have helpful tips for other classes? Recommend a different strat in an open channel? Arrive back at the boss last after every wipe? Or worse, wait for a res? Go AFK without saying anything first? Late back after a regular break? Late for the raid? Join the raid and ask for a summons? Never have flasks/food?
Old February 18, 2011, 06:51 AM   #24 (permalink)

Character Info
Charosar
85 Gnome Warlock
Alleria Euro PvE
Guild: eXCidium

hi,

if this is you : Trustnoone @ Stormscale - Game - World of Warcraft

bracers : crit reforged to haste = no go! if there is mastery around to use for reforging ...

bracer enchant ... you are @ 17,60% ToHit ... take another enchant maybe crit or haste or use other gems if possible ... anything above 17,00% ToHit is wasted ...

PS: Put a link to your Armory-Profile in your Warlocks Den Profile ... makes it easier to find you ...

Last edited by Charosar; February 18, 2011 at 06:55 AM..
Charosar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2011, 08:08 AM   #25 (permalink)
jbh

Character Info
jarobh
85 Human Warlock
Terokkar Euro Guild: Jane Doe

Check this out mate
Destruction Warlock Raiding in 4.0.1 | Cynwise's Battlefield Manual

All you need to know about your spec, explained in a simple way by a fellow lock. Theres is also a guide on how to set up NeedToKnow (NTK) addon. This is in my opinion the best tracker addon out there. It will do wonders for your play, trust me!

/Edit: Only thing you can regard from this link is the stat-weights. You should find your stat prios by simcrafting your char.

Last edited by jbh; February 18, 2011 at 08:12 AM..
jbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2011, 12:40 PM   #26 (permalink)

Character Info
Trustnoone
85 Undead Warlock
Stormscale US PvE
PvP
Guild: buncha dirty hordes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belaide View Post
I'm in the front group for our 10 man progression raid. Here are the things that stand in your way right now: The team is a team already. They know the fights. You don't. New person in the raid = 5 or 6 wipes per boss fight while you learn the strat. They are slowly getting the gear they want. For ranged there will be 3 or 4 people minimum all after the same stuff. If they bring you in now you might get something a regular needs. (My guild has a way to stop this, maybe yours does too). Your DPS sucks if you came in 6 or 7. (No offence). Some of that is down to them knowing the fight and possibly gear. But not all of it. Destro locks are doing awesome dps right now, even with you undergeared you should be able to compete. They aren't that far ahead in gear. They don't want to carry you. They have put in the pain and agony of learning these fights with all of them under-geared. Are you easy to get along with in a raid? Number one reason for not wanting someone in the raid is they are a pain in the *ss. Are you chatty over vent? Do you have helpful tips for other classes? Recommend a different strat in an open channel? Arrive back at the boss last after every wipe? Or worse, wait for a res? Go AFK without saying anything first? Late back after a regular break? Late for the raid? Join the raid and ask for a summons? Never have flasks/food?
I agree. They know the fight I didn't. I have been on more now, so DPS is greatly increasing

Gear. Yes they have more gear, want more gear (so no inv to take theirs), we use epgp for gear

We have only one raid grp and I am trying to develop another one so we can all have a learning curve

I talk less, listen more in vent. I do suggest strategies. I unfortunately have to correct my RL about what the hell a lock does, but i do it nicely

I am always on time from breaks, not a nussiance (sp?) etc, etc

I always have flasks, food, buffs up

One problem I do have is when I have to fear something and put pet at "sleep" to not attack it, i need a macro or something to remind me to put him back on defensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charosar View Post
hi,

if this is you : Trustnoone @ Stormscale - Game - World of Warcraft

bracers : crit reforged to haste = no go! if there is mastery around to use for reforging ...

bracer enchant ... you are @ 17,60% ToHit ... take another enchant maybe crit or haste or use other gems if possible ... anything above 17,00% ToHit is wasted ...

PS: Put a link to your Armory-Profile in your Warlocks Den Profile ... makes it easier to find you ...
Bracers have been upgraded, so this is an older piece. But thanks for the input!

Update:

My RL thought that Spirit turns into Hit for Locks. A piece dropped in BoT and he thought I should pick it up. It was a healer piece with a lot of Spirit.

He continues to be confused on our abilities. He wants me to keep up "Curse of Exhaustion" on Maloriak instead of "Curse of Tongues"

They are letting me go on raids, so it is hard to complain. But I have noticed they are taking, I guess, better dps classes on some bosses.
For example, We downed all but the last boss in BoT Tuesday night (we tried about 4-5 times and failed), and then last night when the guild picked it up to go down him here was the classes invited:
3 druids
3 paladins
2 priests
1 warrior
1 hunter
Was this smart? Of course the tanks were a pally and druid. heals were priest and druid. rest dps.
Trustnoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2011, 07:49 PM   #27 (permalink)

Character Info
Dyson
85 Worgen Warlock
Korgath US PvP
Guild: Sovereign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trustnoone View Post
For example, We downed all but the last boss in BoT Tuesday night (we tried about 4-5 times and failed), and then last night when the guild picked it up to go down him here was the classes invited:
3 druids
3 paladins
2 priests
1 warrior
1 hunter
Was this smart? Of course the tanks were a pally and druid. heals were priest and druid. rest dps.
Well did they succeed? That's kind of what matters.

And also what spec was the DPS druid? Boomkin? Overall, it probably was a reasonable comp although I am not sure that the shadow priest really added anything since you had a boomkin so all his buffs were covered. If they had added you, they would have gotten extra crit on the boss at the least. Otherwise, the comp looks good. You kind of want a hunter because they can bring any buff to the raid by swapping pets and it's an extra frost trap. And oh yeah, with the boomkins fungal growth, it's amazing. As Destro I quite like bane of havoc on the boss because it helps to push him down while I am AOEing or killing adherant.

I also think destro is pro on the fight for shadow fury. You can easily interrupt worship on a whole group of people. 8 seconds is a long time to lock people out with the shadow priest there using psychic scream instead, and he has to be in proximity if people are spread out while killing adherant. The stun from shadow fury is only 3 sec, so it's pretty nice to knock people out of fury without a lot of consequence.
dyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2011, 10:30 AM   #28 (permalink)

Character Info
Trustnoone
85 Undead Warlock
Stormscale US PvE
PvP
Guild: buncha dirty hordes

Theywere only fighting the last boss in BoT, Chogaill (sp?) And yes they were successful, but not a one shot. It took them four times. Point to thatis that we attempted it while I was with them, and it took four-five times before we called it a night and it seems that they had about the same result (other than downing it)
Trustnoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2011, 11:17 AM   #29 (permalink)

Character Info
Diandra
85 Human Warlock
Hakkar Euro PvP
Guild: Forgotten Ancients

Quote:
how do i get a DPS spot on a normal basis?
Skill is futile. Sign up to every raid.
Your attendancy must be 100%.
honestly, it works.

Quote:
I talk less, listen more in vent.
You know... you should talk a lot on vent.
Thruth is that noone feels like you exist, if you are "the silent guy". (and this applies to guild/raidchat too: noone cares if you write, you have to speak on vt)
From my experience, if you speak on vent you get: raid spots, loot, you can speak with the RL about the strats, everyone greets you when you log in/out, everyone congratz you when you get an item...
If you stay silent/write you are just a ghost, noone really cares about you, if you propose a strat you get a "TL;DR", if you loot the others will go "**@@ my dagger went to the nerd one"...

sorry i didnt had much time to write this post... i really think that #2 is VERY important, i've thought a lot about it in the last months
Diandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 03, 2011, 04:26 AM   #30 (permalink)

Character Info
siithera
85 Human Warlock
Amun'thul Oceania RP PvE
Guild: Eternity
Profile: WoW Rankings

Hmmm...I use to have this problem but my RL was nice enough for newcomers to raids to have learning curve time and also ask if anyone doesn't know the fight before getting into it and explaining the fight so we can get maximum outcome as a team not as individuals.

I forgot who posted it but best is to learn from another lock, that is what I did and it changed my DPS a lot. You are lot more geared then I am but I have no problem beating other DPS classes(most of the time).

This is my rotation I use with few others in between to cater for the situation,

CoE,soulburn+soulfire,Immolate(glyphed),Corruption , Bane of Doom,Conflagrate(glyphed)Demon soul,Chaos Bolt and Incinerate(glyphed)

other spells use them as situation dictates, I have changed pets to suit the sitation even in mioddle of fights :D.. oh and when you look at recount I have been advised by the a lot of other locks that my Immolate should normally be at top and other DoTs more then say soul fire. I also normally preserve one soulburn + soul fire at least to give last burst damage as the boss dies down :D.

sorry if it doesn't make sense much but with other advices you should get invited every time :D. My guild is very understanding that being a lock is hard atm and I am the only active destro lock(or lock) so get to know your guild members really well.
aramiya is offline   Reply With Quote