The Warlocks Den - WoW Warlock DiscussionsThe Warlocks Den - WoW Warlock Discussions

Member Login
Forgot Password?

Please Register to Remove these Ads

The Warlocks Den - WoW Warlock Discussions » Discussion Forums » Instances & Raiding » how to fear and target best

Instances & Raiding The PvE side to 80... everything relating to instances and raiding. From Wailing Caverns to Uldaar and beyond!

Old February 01, 2011, 02:50 AM   #1 (permalink)

Character Info
Dancewithorc
85 Human Warlock
EU-Nozdormu Euro PvE
Guild: Malfurions Gefährten
Profile: WoW Rankings
Talent Tree: Affliction
how to fear and target best

Hi, with the current hero instances warlocks has to fear a lot. What I'm asking for is how to manage best (maybe with a good macro) to keep an eye on the feared enemy and make damage on the tanks target, especially how to handle felguards activity. Anybody how can give me some hints? as currently I do everything manually which works, but damage goes down significantly.

thx
Dance
DanceOrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Recommended Guide

lb1
Old February 01, 2011, 04:00 AM   #2 (permalink)

Character Info
Fizzik
80 Blood Elf Warlock
Dunemaul US PvP
Guild: Ghosts of Damnation
Profile: Blizzard Armory
Re: how to fear and target best

I'm using a macro (it's somewhere in the Den, I'll try & fish it up later) that fears the focus target. If there is no focus target or the focus target is dead, it will fear the current target. I've got this macro on my buttontimers bar so that I can see when the fear effect wears off or is broken. Before a pull, I just focus my CC assignment and it's ready to go. Same thing for Banish.

For pet management, I just put my pet on passive and have /petattack macro'd to CoE and Immolate (Destro). Since Felguard has an AoE you'll probably still want to control that manually so you don't break CC accidentally.

When in doubt, read the Forum Rules
Evil - we're all in it together: Support the Den
fizboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 01, 2011, 06:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

Character Info
TheTagWizard
80 Undead Warlock
Firetree US PvP
Guild: Unbuffed
4.0 Re: how to fear and target best

Pretty much what Fizz said. Best way when you have 1 CC assignment just use a focus macro and it's easysauce. If you have to CC 2 mobs on 1 pull, I've assigned all my cc abilities to also work w/o the focus macro if I hit shift first, so I'll focus CC one and then target the other and hit shift when I CC that mob, I then have to tab to target my dps mob. It's a lot of work but sure feels good when done right to know that we can easily control 2 mobs with CC and still do some damage as well. In BC it seemed like everyone always wanted a Warlock in the group because of this. I missed that in Wrath of the Lich King, I'm so glad it's back.

Found the guide, read here for some good info.
Pet Macro Guide

Last edited by xTAGx Wizard; February 01, 2011 at 06:30 AM..
xTAGx Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 01, 2011, 07:07 AM   #4 (permalink)

Character Info
Xayide
85 Orc Warlock
Azralon US PvP
Guild: LastOne

Read this: Warlock Macros in Cataclysm | Cynwise's Battlefield Manual , awesome fear macro here.

For Felguard, disable its Pursuit, it's currently bugged. You may want to disable Legion Strike as well if it's too close to cc'ed mobs.
kikovsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 01, 2011, 11:05 AM   #5 (permalink)

Character Info
Hellheimer
85 Goblin Warlock
SkullCrusher US PvP
Guild: Legion
Talent Tree: Destruction

Currently for PVE it seems our fear (even when glyphed) is somewhat weaker than other classes forms of CC. Hex/MC/Bind Elemental/Sap/Snare etc. Our fear appears to have the shortest duration in comparison to the others. Granted it still works but for PVE shouldn't the duration be a tad longer?

Anywhoo, I generally just set a focus target and click back to it when i see fear ready to fall off. Banish is a bit more challanging because you have to wait for it to fall off before recasting it otherwise you remove the effect. (Banish IMO is a superb CC for the specific stuff it is used on)
Hellheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 01, 2011, 11:30 AM   #6 (permalink)

Character Info
Dayzzee
85 Orc Warlock
Runetotem US PvE
Guild: Casually Serious
Profile:
Talent Tree: Demonology

I have a focus Fear and a focus banish. Works really well except when I have to do both- the macros sorta screw things up.
vsolfronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 01, 2011, 12:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

Character Info
Solkarz
85 Human Warlock
Bonechewer US PvP
Guild: Knights of the Dawn
Talent Tree: Destruction

I'm having a hard time with a macro that was linked, getting it to clear my focus target with the control modifier. It is supposed to focus my mouseover and cast fear and clear focus when the mob dies, and clear my focus if I press Control with it. Anyone know why this would not clear my focus w/ the control modifier or what I could do to fix it? The macro is:

#showtooltip
/focus [target=focus, noexists][target=focus, dead] mouseover
/cast [target=focus, exists] Fear; Fear
/stopmacro [nomodifier]
/clearfocus [modifier:ctrl]

Thanks!
Solkarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 01, 2011, 02:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

Cata Re: how to fear and target best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellheimer View Post
Currently for PVE it seems our fear (even when glyphed) is somewhat weaker than other classes forms of CC. Hex/MC/Bind Elemental/Sap/Snare etc. Our fear appears to have the shortest duration in comparison to the others. Granted it still works but for PVE shouldn't the duration be a tad longer?

I always thought of our glyphed fear as really good. I don't know if other classes suffer from diminishing returns on their CC but I know my fear doesn't. Always a steady 20 seconds. I have held mobs for a long time while a tank gets back after a death (The run back in Vortex can be pretty long) and always felt it was easy to do.
Spynner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 01, 2011, 04:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

Character Info
Mordru
85 Gnome Warlock
Alexstrasza US PvE
Guild: Pantheon
Talent Tree: Demonology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solkarz View Post
I'm having a hard time with a macro that was linked, getting it to clear my focus target with the control modifier. It is supposed to focus my mouseover and cast fear and clear focus when the mob dies, and clear my focus if I press Control with it. Anyone know why this would not clear my focus w/ the control modifier or what I could do to fix it? The macro is:

#showtooltip
/focus [target=focus, noexists][target=focus, dead] mouseover
/cast [target=focus, exists] Fear; Fear
/stopmacro [nomodifier]
/clearfocus [modifier:ctrl]

Thanks!
Not at home, but I *think*

#showtooltip
/clearfocus [@focus,noexists][@focus,dead]
/focus [@focus,noexists][@focus,dead] mouseover
/cast [@focus,exists]Fear; Fear
/clearfocus [mod:ctrl]

This should clear your focus if your focus is dead or doesnt exist
Then it should set your focus to a mouseover (not sure what happens if your mouse is not over something that can be set as a focus)
Then you cast fear on your focus if it exists. Otherwise you cast fear on your target.
Finally, if you are holding down ctrl key, you clear your focus.
Mordru is offline   Reply With Quote