The Warlocks Den - WoW Warlock DiscussionsThe Warlocks Den - WoW Warlock Discussions

Member Login
Forgot Password?

Please Register to Remove these Ads

The Warlocks Den - WoW Warlock Discussions » Discussion Forums » Instances & Raiding » need help on Rhyolith 10 reg

Instances & Raiding The PvE side to 80... everything relating to instances and raiding. From Wailing Caverns to Uldaar and beyond!

Old September 16, 2011, 10:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Character Info
Korfang
85 Gnome Warlock
Llane US PvE
Guild: Abomination
Profile: Blizzard Armory
Talent Tree: Affliction
need help on Rhyolith 10 reg

Having problems with the fight, going with 3 melee 2 ranged 3 heals and 2 tanks, and having problems with the adds. Need to know the best spell to use to get best dps for downing the fragments and the spark. The mage is hitting 15-16k and I am only seeming to get at most 12.8k.

Any suggestions as affliction on what spell to use on the fragments cause I know on the spark I need to do regular rotation.
Korfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Recommended Guide

lb1
Old September 17, 2011, 01:05 AM   #2 (permalink)

Character Info
Printorn
Worgen Warlock
Eonar US PvE
Re: need help on Rhyolith 10 reg

Only having 2 ranged on the adds is going to be a bit rough. The fight is pretty easily 1 tanked. My suggestion would be to have one of your tanks go dps and have 2 ranged and 1 melee on adds. The melee would just help with the fragments. A bit of a kludge, but if your melee is a frost DK then you should have no problem on them.

Honestly, affliction AoE really under-performs because you can't do a soul-burn seed of corruption on all the fragments. If you must stay affliction, the spam seed of corruption. However, what you should probably do is learn demo and play demo that fight. If you and a mage are your raid's only ranged then you'll pretty much have to be demo for Beth'tilac anyways, so... might as well learn it. Then, once you go demo you pretty much own the fragments because demo aoe is just that good.
zuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2011, 01:11 AM   #3 (permalink)

Character Info
Kalerender
85 Undead Warlock
Frostmourne Oceania PvP
Guild: Aether
4.0 Re: need help on Rhyolith 10 reg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korfang View Post
Having problems with the fight, going with 3 melee 2 ranged 3 heals and 2 tanks, and having problems with the adds. Need to know the best spell to use to get best dps for downing the fragments and the spark. The mage is hitting 15-16k and I am only seeming to get at most 12.8k.

Any suggestions as affliction on what spell to use on the fragments cause I know on the spark I need to do regular rotation.
Do you care because your raid is wiping due to fragments not being kept under control? Or because you want more dps. If the latter who cares. It's a surging fight, you may not do well with it. We run with a hunter, shaman, mage, warlock, dk dps, and of late our healer druid goes feral since we're at the point of 2 healing regular rhyo now. We keep two dps for main steering (hunter enh sham), the DK dps works the adds, the mage and I help with lil guys and focus on burning big add, and help with burst turning rhyo as needed.

I generally pop shadowflame then a couple of seeds until they die. But I rarely get more than 1 or 2 casts off.

He dies every week, faster than the week before. My sustain dps during nuke phases is satisfactory, therefore I am happy. Using recount to tell you what your dps is on a fight like Rhyo isn't very useful.
Kalerender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2011, 10:01 AM   #4 (permalink)

Character Info
Korfang
85 Gnome Warlock
Llane US PvE

I am getting yelled at by the guild leader about my dps, but I knew there wasn't enough on the adds. He was saying that the Spark wasn't going down fast enough. Plus the 3 melee on the legs were having problems with the steering as well, but that is their problem. This was our 1st attempts on the boss and the GM I guess was thinking we were going to oneshot him or something like that cause we are all over 365 gear.

I have never gotten the hand of demo after level 80 cause that whole metamorph was throwing me off.

It is a shame we don't have a hunter for that would help alot cause we do have an enh shaman and a DK in the group. We also have a rogue as well. Our main problem is that we have to pug 2 of the 3 healers, we had a warrior and a druid tank. Truthfully, I don't know if the tanks were geared well enough or the healers geared enough cause the warrior wasn't surviving to the end of the 1st Spark, and thats when the GM was yelling about the DPS on the Spark wasn't high enough. He thought I wasn't using the right spells cause according to recount I was anywhere from 9-13k but from the way yall are talking, I was technically where I could be.

I will share this info with my raid leader and if there is anything else you can share, please let me know.
Old September 17, 2011, 11:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

Character Info
ullilock
85 Worgen Warlock
eonar US PvE
Guild: Last Dirty Nickel

we run the 2 tank 3 heal as well. we only use two dps on the adds, myself (demo lock) and a MM hunter. when we're both on spark its normally ~ 25 percent when fragments come back out. he stays on spark to finish and i swap to fragments...immolation aura/felstorm/hellfire...whatever is available at the time seems to be more than enough. we also stack in the center of the room to ensure its easy for fragment tank to get them bundled up quickly. haven't had any trouble with this strat, even before the fight was nerfed.
ullilock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2011, 03:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Character Info
Korfang
85 Gnome Warlock
Llane US PvE

I tried doing hellfire and shadowburn and rain of fire, and those damned fragments were taking awhile to down. Seed of Corruption tabbing was ok too.

I did mail my raid leader and informed him of somethings I learned. Good to know it isn't all me, it is alot of different things going on as well.

As for the fragment tank, which would you use? Warrior or Druid?
Old September 17, 2011, 06:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Character Info
iflassman
85 Orc Warlock
Korgath US PvE
PvP
Guild: Pleasure Town
Profile:
Talent Tree: Demonology

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuke View Post
Honestly, affliction AoE really under-performs because you can't do a soul-burn seed of corruption on all the fragments. If you must stay affliction, the spam seed of corruption. However, what you should probably do is learn demo and play demo that fight. If you and a mage are your raid's only ranged then you'll pretty much have to be demo for Beth'tilac anyways, so... might as well learn it. Then, once you go demo you pretty much own the fragments because demo aoe is just that good.
Affliction works just fine for this fight. Aff AoE works better when aoe in the raid group is underpowered, since it takes a bit of time to ramp up. What I suggest is:

1. Curse of Elements (with Jinx) on one of them
2. Soulburn: SoC when Soulburn is off CD
3. Shadowflame on CD
4. throw a few UAs if the adds are living long enough
5. Spam SoC (if you have corruption up on adds, make sure to SoC the same target, since it will remove corruption)

If Soulburn is not up, make sure to spread corruption manually. I think there are only about 5 adds, so it's not a big deal. Corruption procs Eradication, which really helps with getting your SoC spam.

In between adds, you should double-dot the legs (same dot on each leg to keep movement from you neutral), and soul swap off of one of the legs to throw onto a spark.

Also, I agree that this fight should be one-tanked. It's a big waste of DPS to have two-tanks in this fight, and unnecessary. I tank this fight on my main, and have no problems. If your dps is low, you may have situations where the tank is still tanking the Spark when the fragments spawn. Priority should be to take down the spark as fast as possible, before switching to the sparks. The fragments don't actually have to die. You just want to make sure that none of them have a lot of hp before they meltdown, since the damage they do is based on how much health they have left.

Last edited by iflassman; September 17, 2011 at 07:17 PM..
iflassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2011, 10:24 AM   #8 (permalink)

Character Info
Kalerender
85 Undead Warlock
Frostmourne Oceania PvP
Guild: Aether

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korfang View Post
I tried doing hellfire and shadowburn and rain of fire, and those damned fragments were taking awhile to down. Seed of Corruption tabbing was ok too.

I did mail my raid leader and informed him of somethings I learned. Good to know it isn't all me, it is alot of different things going on as well.

As for the fragment tank, which would you use? Warrior or Druid?
Druid, swipe spam is ridiculous for helping on adds.
Kalerender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2011, 02:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Character Info
Brahm
Orc Warlock
Andorhal US PvP
Guild: Inglorious Bastards

Biggest issue we had with this guy on our first attempts was keeping the small fry adds in one area, I had to constantly complain about the adds being dragged all around as our ae dps was targetted ae, not run around spamming a button. Once our tank started listening, adds started dying a lot easier.

Also, don't 2 tank it. We have 1 dps on legs when our dk tank goes dps, and if he needs help he calls out, otherwise all dps are on adds. While it may seem like it should be harder since there is an achievement for it, my guild finds sticking to one leg easier too, this may be why we can get away with 1 dps on legs 80 percent of the fight.
Meister is offline   Reply With Quote