The Warlocks Den - WoW Warlock DiscussionsThe Warlocks Den - WoW Warlock Discussions

Member Login
Forgot Password?

Please Register to Remove these Ads

The Warlocks Den - WoW Warlock Discussions » Discussion Forums » World of Warcraft Discussion » Compiled List of changes coming for Warlocks in WotLK

World of Warcraft Discussion General Discussion about anything relating to World of Warcraft and the Warlock's place with in...

Old August 16, 2008, 06:24 PM   #11 (permalink)

Character Info
Amiddleona
70 Gnome Warlock
Greymane US PvE
Profile: Blizzard Armory
Re: Compiled List of changes coming for Warlocks in WotLK

I hope that the haunt change is enough to fix affliction scaling because from what I have read on the beta forums, fire destruction is the new 21/40 and affliction is just for farming. I hope to god we aren't stuck playing as a "mage" again it just loses all the flavor of being a warlock.
amiddleona is offline   Reply With Quote
Recommended Guide

lb1
Old August 25, 2008, 03:02 PM   #12 (permalink)

Character Info
Kalandrian
70 Blood Elf Warlock
V.C.N. Hardcore PVP US PvP

I love the new Demonic circle idea. It's like a faster hearthstone and is a lot more convenient because it will be usable everywhere. I also love the new chaos bolt attack, not to mention the new shadow and flame, backdraft, and soul leech abilities. I am DEFINITELY speccing destruction for Wrath of the Lich King.
Old August 25, 2008, 11:42 PM   #13 (permalink)

Character Info
Belthezor
80 Undead Warlock
Draenor US PvE
PvP

Oh I hadn't realized the Demonic Cirlce worked anywhere. I thought it was sort of like the Mages Blink spell. I think the Demonic Circle will be helpful, but I have to admit I wish we were able to sustain more than one circle. Give us a way to match the Mage's teleport/portal power.

I also wish we had an Invisibility power of so sort. I mean we use shadow magic.. it wouldn't be too far of a reach to say we slip into the shadows or something. Obviously nothing as powerful as the rogues ability, but something like that.

Any back to the Demonic Circle, when we log out, is the circle still there, or does it disappear?
Belthezor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2008, 01:14 AM   #14 (permalink)

Character Info
Mithgaar
80 Blood Elf Warlock
Khaz'Goroth Oceania PvE
Guild: Conviction

I was looking at ways to use demonic circle for raiding. Was thinking of at the begining of a fight setting the circle right next to the tank then move out to max range and fight as normal. Once aggro gets to high shatter and if I get really high again and shatter is on CD when I pull aggro teleport back to next to the tank so he can grab aggro again quicker instead of having the tank chase the target.

Now I know there are plenty of things the tank can do to grab aggro again (got a Warrior alt) but end of the day anything to help the tank will make the raid go alot smoother (and yes not pulling aggro in the first place would be even better but a back-up for soulshatter for the just incase situations)
Mithgaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2008, 10:46 AM   #15 (permalink)

Character Info
Pernicious
80 Blood Elf Warlock
Dark Iron US PvP
Guild: Allmacht

I just came across these two entries on wotlkwiki.info

Quote:
Path of Frost will be the first in game spell to allow running on water while mounted. For some reason, I'm excited about this :P

Also the site has revealed a flight path map
Flightpaths - WotlkWiki - Wrath of the Lich King Information
No flight paths in the Ice Crown zone, Guess we'll all be riding/flying there. None of the maps I've seen show Dalaran, I expect it to be east and south of the Ice Crown. So the trip may not be that bad to get there.

They've also put up some information on Buff/Debuff Stacking. Sorry if this isn't new.

Game Mechanics - WotlkWiki - Wrath of the Lich King Information
Quote:
The expansion will be introducing a sweeping change to how different buffs and debuffs stack with each other. Below is the full post by Zarhym on the Beta Forums, but the basic idea is: All buffs and debuffs have been placed in categories, and these categories no long stack with each other.
This is the full post (the most pertinent points have been bolded):

With the release of upcoming content patch players will see a change in the way we allow buffs and debuffs to stack exclusively in a raid. For the most part, what this change means is that many buffs and debuffs that were previously allowed to stack together no longer can, and that many buffs and debuffs that only a single talent specialization could bring can now be brought by multiple different specializations. The philosophy behind this change shows up in many of the changes we have made in Wrath of The Lich King, such as when we made almost all buffs raid-wide. We want players to be able to form raids and parties based on who they want to play with, rather than who has the correct talents and abilities to min-max their raid performance.

Raid composition will still matter to some extent, but without this change, it would have overwhelmed every other aspect of raid planning (as we added new capabilities to each of 30 different talent trees). You no longer need to rigidly control the melee/spellcaster balance of your raid, or make sure every group has all the critical buffing classes, etc. This change has many class balance implications.

IMPORTANT! Before we are done, we will thoroughly test the performance of every class. It should not be assumed that one class' current performance relative to others in beta is final.

There are thirty or so different categories into which buffs and debuffs fit. Here you will find a comprehensive list of the changes made broken down by category and which spells/talents are in that category.

Some classes (and specializations) will need to be reduced in power and some increased. Many may feel the change has more impact on class X than class Y. We will address all of those concerns via our internal testing and community feedback.
  • Armor Debuff (Major): Acid Spit (exotic Hunter pet), Expose Armor, Sunder Armor
  • Armor Debuff (Minor): Faerie Fire, Sting (Hunter pet), Curse of Recklessness
  • Physical Vulnerability Debuff: Blood Frenzy, (2nd Talent Spec TBA)
  • Melee Haste Buff: Improved Icy Talons, Windfury Totem
  • Melee Critical Strike Chance Buff: Leader of the Pack, Rampage
  • Attack Power Buff (Flat Add): Battle Shout, Blessing of Might
  • Attack Power Buff (Multiplier): Abomination's Might, Trueshot Aura, Unleashed Rage
  • Ranged Attack Power Buff: Hunter's Mark (only Hunters benefit, so no need to exclude against other class abilities)
  • Bleed Damage Increase Debuff: Mangle, Trauma
  • Spell Haste Buff: Wrath of Air Totem
  • Spell Critical Strike Chance Buff: Moonkin Aura, Elemental Oath
  • Spell Critical Strike Chance Debuff: Improved Scorch, Winter's Chill
  • Increased Spell Damage Taken Debuff: Ebon Plaguebringer, Earth and Moon, Curse of the Elements
  • Increased Spell Power Buff: Focus Magic, Improved Divine Spirit, Flametongue Totem, Totem of Wrath, Demonic Pact
  • Increased Spell Hit Chance Taken Debuff: Improved Faerie Fire, Misery
  • Percentage Haste Increase (All Types): Improved Moonkin Aura, Swift Retribution
  • Percentage Damage Increase: Ferocious Inspiration, Sanctified Retribution
  • Critical Strike Chance Taken Debuff (All types): Heart of the Crusader, Totem of Wrath
  • Melee Attack Speed Slow Debuff: Icy Touch, Infected Wounds, Judgements of the Just, Thunderclap
  • Melee Hit Chance Reduction Debuff: Insect Swarm, Scorpid Sting
  • Healing Debuff: Wound Poison, Aimed Shot, Mortal Strike, Furious Attacks
  • Attack Power Debuff: Demoralizing Roar, Curse of Weakness, Demoralizing Shout
  • Stat Multiplier Buff: Blessing of Kings
  • Stat Add Buff: Mark of the Wild
  • Agility and Strength Buff: Strength of Earth Totem, Horn of Winter
  • Stamina Buff: Power Word: Fortitude
  • Health Buff: Commanding Shout, Blood Pact
  • Intellect Buff: Arcane Intellect, Fel Intelligence
  • Spirit Buff: Divine Spirit, Fel Intelligence
  • Damage Reduction Percentage Buff: Grace, Blessing of Sanctuary
  • Percentage Increase Healing Received Buff: Tree of Life, Improved Devotion Aura
  • Armor Increase Percentage Buff: Inspiration, Ancestral Healing
  • Cast Speed Slow: Curse of Tongues, Slow, Mind-numbing Poison.
In each category, you can only benefit from the most powerful spell granting that effect. For example, Fel Intelligence grants spirit and intellect, both weaker than Arcane Intellect and Divine Spirit. If a player has Fel Intelligence and receives a stronger Arcane Intellect buff, he will gain the intellect value from Arcane Intellect and the spirit value from Fel Intelligence.

In most cases, fully-talented players will have exactly equal power on the strength of these buffs and debuffs. Fel Intelligence is an example of where one ability is weaker than others. The buffs in the "Increased Spell Power Buff" category are also not all the same potency, as they scale and grow in radically different ways. In virtually every other case, however, the buffs are equal. This means, for example, that fully-talented Battle Shout and Blessing of Might now grant the exact same amount of attack power.

In addition to this change, we also needed to address the "mana battery" roles in a raid. The mana regeneration effect they grant is no longer limited to their own party, and it no longer depends on the amount of damage they deal. Each time they trigger the mana regeneration effect, 10 people in their raid group will receive a buff which causes them to regenerate 0.5% of their maximum mana each second. This buff, Replenishment, will be given preferentially to raid members with the lowest mana, but will re-evaluate which raid members receive it each time it is fired. Replenishment is provided by Shadow Priests, Survival Hunters, and Retribution Paladins.

Finally, we have modified Heroism and Bloodlust to affect the entire raid. However, all affected raid members will be unable to cast or benefit from Bloodlust/Heroism for 5 minutes.

Below you will find a list of the changes to abilities which exhibit new behavior regardless of the exclusive categories. The changes usually mean the old behavior was removed and replaced by the new behavior. Numbers listed are for maximally-talented versions. Here is that list of changes:

• Improved Scorch: Increases spell critical strike chance against the target.
  • Winter's Chill: Also increases spell critical strike chance against the target.
  • Elemental Oath: Grants 5% spell crital strike to raid members.
  • Improved Moonkin Aura: Grants 3% haste of all types.
  • Earth and Moon: Increases spell damage taken from all schools by 13% on the target.
  • Misery: Causes spells cast at the target to have +3% spell hit.
  • Shadow Weaving: Buffs only self.
  • Improved Shadow Bolt: Buffs only self.
  • Expose Weakness: Buffs only self.
  • Shadow Embrace: Buffs only self.
  • Blood Pact: Grants health instead of Stamina.
  • Fel Intelligence: Has replacement ranks that grant flat values of Intellect and Spirit.
  • Frost Aura: Excludes properly against all other resistance buffs.
  • Grace: Reduces damage taken by target by 3%.
  • Rampage: Increases melee and ranged critical strike chance by 5% for the raid.
  • Improved Faerie Fire: No longer benefits melee and ranged hit chance, only spell hit.
  • Hunter's Mark: No longer increases attack power bonus from attacks against the target.
  • Improved Hunter's Mark: No longer grants melee attack power.
  • Sting (Hunter pet): Now acts as a minor armor debuff.
  • Waylay: Attack speed reduction changed to 20%.
  • Icy Touch: Only slows melee attack speed (not ranged or spell).
  • Tree of Life: No longer grants healing based on spirit, grants 3% increased healing received to raid.
  • Demonic Pact: Now buffs raid instead of debuffing monsters.
  • Focus Magic: Now buffs raid instead of debuffing monsters.
  • Totem of Wrath: Now grants a flat amount of spell damage, and all enemies in its radius have an increased chance of being struck by criticals.
  • Heroism: Cannot be recast while caster has Exhausted debuff, and those with Exhausted debuff cannot be affected by it.
  • Bloodlust: Cannot be recast while caster has Sated debuff, and those with Sated debuff cannot be affected by it.
  • Vampiric Touch: Grants Replenishment mana regeneration buff to up to 10 raid members on dealing damage.
  • Hunting Party: Grants Replenishment mana regeneration buff to up to 10 raid members on specified shots.
  • Judgements of the Wise: Grants Replenishment mana regeneration buff to up to 10 raid members on Judging.
*** Information added 16 Minutes and 16 Seconds later... ***

Blizzard mentioned before that the Debuff slots on mobs greatly increase bandwidth used by the game and in tern affects performance. I suspect that the Curse of Shadows/Elements merge was designed to free up one of those Debuff Slots. All the changes listed above (no more stacking debuffs) seem to also address this issue. With a New Class, many more Debuff slots would have to have been added. This change fixes that slightly.

Now, warlock specifics:
Quote:
Improved Shadow Bolt: Buffs only self.
Shadow Embrace: Buffs only self.
Blood Pact: Grants health instead of Stamina.
Demonic Pact: Now buffs raid instead of debuffing monsters.
Interesting changes. No more will you see the Imp. Shadowbolt effect being consumed by other locks or Shadow Priests. Its all ours. However, this destroys the group Synergy we have with those classes and each other.

Shadow Embrace change removes it as a debuff on the target, and thus as an extra debuff for an additional 5% Life Drain.

Blood Pact now granting health over Stamina worries me. Traditionally, Health gains are far less over all than stamina gains.

What do you all think?

Last edited by Pernicious; August 29, 2008 at 11:06 AM..
Pernicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 05, 2008, 08:44 PM   #16 (permalink)

Character Info
Diatt
70 Human Warlock
Emerald Dream US RP PvP
Guild: Courage

Talent: Eradication - Now on the same level as Dark Pact

Talent: Pandemic (requires UA, replaces Eradication's spot) - Each time you deal damage with Corruption or UA, you have a chance equal to your spell critical strike chance to deal 33/66/100% additional damage.

Talent: Shadow Embrace - Your Shadow Bolt and Haunt spells apply the Shadow Embrace effect, increasing all periodic damage dealt to the target by you by 2/4/3/0/0%, and reduces all periodic healing done to the target by 3/6/9/1% to 0/1 to 0/1 to 0%. Lasts for 12 seconds. Stacks up to 2 times. (The data on MMO-Champion is off, will fix when it is)

Talent: Everlasting Affliction - Your Corruption, Siphon Life and Unstable Affliction spells gain an additional 1/2/3/4/5% of your bonus spell damage effects each time they inflict damage, and your Drain Life and Shadow Bolt spells have a 20/40/60/80/100% chance to reset the duration of your Corruption spell on the target.

Talent: Haunt - You send a ghostly soul into the target, dealing 645 to 754 Shadow damage and increasing all damage done by your damage-over-time effects on the target by 20% for 12 sec. When the Haunt spell ends or is dispelled, the soul returns to you, healing you for 20% of the damage it did to the target.

Info: Glyph of Drain Soul - Your Drain Soul ability occasionally creates an additional soul shard.
Info: Glyph of Demonic Armor - Reduces the mana cost of your Demon Armor by 50%.
Info: Glyph of Fel Armor - Increases the duration of your Fel Armor spell by 30 min.
Info: Glyph of Kilrogg - Increases the movement speed of your Eye of Kilrogg by 50% and allows it to fly in areas where flying mounts are enabled.
Info: Glyph of Souls - Your Ritual of Souls spell no longer requires a Soul Shard.
Info: Glyph of Inferno - Increases the Fire damage of your Inferno spell by 50%.

The data seems to be comfirmed since it is from the latest build, but no blue post as of yet.

All data is from Wrath of the Lich King - Warlock - Affliction Talents and MMO-Champion - World of Warcraft Guides and Raid Strategies.

Data is from Build 8905.

Last edited by Ryltar; September 05, 2008 at 08:50 PM..
Ryltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 05, 2008, 10:16 PM   #17 (permalink)

Finally some Affliction attention and soul shard management
Meridani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 06, 2008, 11:18 PM   #18 (permalink)

Character Info
Pernicious
80 Blood Elf Warlock
Dark Iron US PvP
Guild: Allmacht

glyph of inferno... I'm not aware of an inferno fire spell. Are we getting a new destro spell?
Pernicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 07, 2008, 12:05 AM   #19 (permalink)

Character Info
Phrenchie
70 Undead Warlock
Ysera US PvE
Guild: Eternal

I believe they are referring to the hardly used Infernal summoning spell. I guess they are making it useful again...
Phrenchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 07, 2008, 12:24 AM   #20 (permalink)

Probably the Immolation aura. Not sure if the Infernal hits for Physical or Fire.

I just wish they would make him bigger. If you go to Hyjal and wait for the enemy infernals to drop down, they are huge. When ours drops down, it's... kind of puny? Not to mention in the first WoW cinematic, the infernal casted by the undead warlock was HUGE.
Meridani is offline   Reply With Quote