The Warlocks Den - WoW Warlock DiscussionsThe Warlocks Den - WoW Warlock Discussions

Member Login
Forgot Password?

Please Register to Remove these Ads

The Warlocks Den - WoW Warlock Discussions » Discussion Forums » World of Warcraft Discussion » Best spell rotation at level 64? I'm a bit confused...

World of Warcraft Discussion General Discussion about anything relating to World of Warcraft and the Warlock's place with in...

Old September 07, 2010, 09:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

Character Info
Faella
64 Blood Elf Warlock
Chromaggus US PvP
Guild: Ars Brute Squad
Profile: Blizzard Armory
Best spell rotation at level 64? I'm a bit confused...

I'm returning to WoW after about a year and I've re-specced my guy with affliction and everything is going great but I have a couple of questions...

What is the best spell rotation for solo pve fights? I'm casting Haunt --> UA --> Corruption --> Curse of Agony. By that point the mob is typically at 50% health and normally what comes next is a Shadowbolt but the mob would die before I can cast it so I usually just start Drain Soul (even at 50% health because it drops so fast) or pull another mob.

Does that sound about right?

Another question... what's the best way to pull a group of multiple mobs? It takes a bit of time to load every mob up with dots (except for the instant cast ones like corruption and Curse of Agony).
sofakng is offline   Reply With Quote
Recommended Guide

lb1
Old September 07, 2010, 09:39 AM   #2 (permalink)

Character Info
Feardotz
80 Gnome Warlock
Stormscale US PvP
Guild: Enigma
Re: Best spell rotation at level 64? I'm a bit confused...

What I used to like to do (back in my leveling days ) was start up with SB.

So I would go SB>Haunt>UA>Corr>Curse of Agony>Drain life

Sometimes you don't even need the Curse of Agony, it really depends on the mobs health. Using this rotation, you get two stacks of shadow embrace up, and you put the shadowbolt in the front of the rotation, letting you get the longer cast time spell up first, without a mob beating on you lol

As for aoe pulling, I like to fully dot up the first mob (Haunt,ua,corr,Curse of Agony), then run around spamming UA>Corr. By the time you've pulled 3 to 4 mobs, haunt will be ready again. The key is to keep refreshing haunt, because it provides a good bit of healing.

Once all the mobs have been gathered, I just keep hitting tab and drain life... And pretty soon you'll find a bunch of dead mobs around you :D
Fearme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 07, 2010, 11:12 AM   #3 (permalink)

Character Info
Glargh
85 Undead Warlock
Hellscream US PvE
Guild: Convictions
Talent Tree: Destruction

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofakng View Post
Another question... what's the best way to pull a group of multiple mobs? It takes a bit of time to load every mob up with dots (except for the instant cast ones like corruption and Curse of Agony).
If you are killing groups of mobs around your own level and have siphon life, just put corruption on everything within reach. You will be at 100% life (and mana with an occasional life tap). By the time you dot the last mob, the 1st one will be dead. You can start looting while the rest of the mobs just die off.
rooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 07, 2010, 11:45 AM   #4 (permalink)

Character Info
Faella
64 Blood Elf Warlock
Chromaggus US PvP
Guild: Ars Brute Squad

You are talking about the talent Siphon Life, right? Yeah, my build has that.

Would it be better to just use both instant cast DoTs instead of Unstable Affliction and Haunt?

I love the idea of just instant-casting because you can get a LOT of mobs really quickly but I don't know if only one or two dots per mob will be enough to kill something of the same level?
sofakng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 07, 2010, 02:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

Character Info
Beryo
85 Goblin Warlock
Ravenholdt US RP PvP
Guild: Fired
Talent Tree: Affliction Destruction

The thing to focus on isn't whether your initial dots can kill the mob, but whether you're getting enough life back (via siphon life and perhaps drain life) to offset the damage you're taking. If the first round of instant dots don't kill them, you can always reapply.

Affliction lends itself to drain tanking. Here's a good writeup on the strategy: Drain Tanking Cynwise's Battlefield Manual
Beryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 07, 2010, 04:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

Character Info
Johnnyhildo
80 Human Warlock
Azuremyst US PvE
Guild: Inglorious Basterds

Another good trick if you're pulling a group is when one of them is about to die throw a haunt at it for a quick heal. I remember just throwing corruption on everything, SB, then DL and DS to finish it off and get mana back. If I had three or more I might throw Curse of Agony on two of them while I finish off the first one. For typical mobs getting two stacks of shadow's embrace or even applying Haunt wasn't really necessary. If going against a mob a couple levels or more higher than you then I might go with SB, Haunt, Corr, UA, SB, DL, DS. Honestly after awhile it really becomes a joke how many you can chain pull and be totally fine with full health and mana. (joke in a good way. never had as much fun leveling as leveling my aff lock.)