The Warlocks Den - WoW Warlock DiscussionsThe Warlocks Den - WoW Warlock Discussions

Member Login
Forgot Password?

Please Register to Remove these Ads

The Warlocks Den - WoW Warlock Discussions » The Warlocks Den Help Center » Help Me, I'm Broken! » Patch 3.1 Demo/Destro Hybrid Build Discussion

Help Me, I'm Broken! DPS Issues, Gear Help Needed? or Need Advice on a Talent Build? Post here by using the Help Me form.

Closed Thread
Old April 15, 2009, 08:43 AM   #1 (permalink)

3.1 Patch 3.1 Demo/Destro Hybrid Build Discussion

New Thread: [Patch 3.1.2] Demo/Destro Builds Discussion

They're, there, their? Wear, were, where? Test yourself!
Recommended Guide

lb1
Old April 15, 2009, 09:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

Character Info
Ominousicity
80 Orc Warlock
Draenor US PvE
Guild: eXtinction Services
Profile: Blizzard Armory
Talent Tree: Destruction
Re: Patch 3.1 Demo/Destro Hybrid Build Discussion

Took my only slightly tweaked primary spec (00/41/30) into OS last night and topped the dps chart for my group around 3700 for the whole raid, including a couple early trash mobs bow-outs by yours truly due to some epic lag. The World of Warcraft Armory<===spec here.

I tried to keep my spec as close to pre 3.1 as possible.

My rotation did not change at all, nor did my glyphs. I will be switching my curse of agony glyph for a curse of lifetap when someone in my guild learns it. LOL.
Old April 15, 2009, 08:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

Character Info
Elfhaba
80 Human Warlock
Ner'zhul US PvP
Guild: Doesn'tplaywellwithOthers
3.1 Re: Patch 3.1 Demo/Destro Hybrid Build Discussion

Do you mind sharing your spell rotation? I am really enjoying the hybrid spec, but a couple of people in the guild suggest I go Aff. In 25 Nax I go anywhere from 2700 dps to 4000 dps (very rare), depending on the boss. The Aff lock runs about 300 to 500 more dps then I do. I am not sure if it is because she is better geared than I am, or if I'm missing something on my rotation.

Also, have you changed anything on your rotation as a result of 3.1?

Thanks for your help and that of anyone else who can help me out. We are doing our first Ulduar run this weekend, so trying to get prepared

Elfhaba
Old April 15, 2009, 11:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

Character Info
Ominousicity
80 Orc Warlock
Draenor US PvE
Guild: eXtinction Services
Talent Tree: Destruction

my rotation is simple:

curse agony, corruption, immolate, incin, incin, incin,repeat.

I throw in a shadowbolt to begin if the mob is waiting for us to start the battle.

I keep demonic empowerment up, and during boss fights, make sure i trigger my racial (orc) cooldown every 2 mins.

our rotation is probably among the easiest.

I would encourage you to play around with aff on test dummies before taking it into naxx or ulduar. All my guildies report ulduar is ridiculous...

I havent been in ulduar since early ptr, so im curious to see..

I think the changes i made were ones centered around molten core moving to demo from destro tree. Basically all my talent picks were consistent with my lineup pre 3.1 Check my talent spec on wowarmory.com for my exact spec if you are curious. I make no claims mine is the best spec, or that it is even the best hybrid demo/dest spec, but its working well for me.

good luck!
Old April 15, 2009, 11:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Character Info
Elfhaba
80 Human Warlock
Ner'zhul US PvP
Guild: Doesn'tplaywellwithOthers

That is super, thanks so much for the info. I will definitely give it a try when I log back on tomorrow.
Old April 16, 2009, 12:53 AM   #6 (permalink)

Character Info
Seduktra
80 Blood Elf Warlock
Proudmoore US PvE

So you did not go for decimate, I take it...

Another lock and I went into Ulduar tonight, he as 40/31, myself as 41/30 (which is what we both ran before), and both of us felt weaker.
Toons got ahead of us that did not before, we were always pretty much topping charts.

Now, it's a brand new place, Decimate is clumsy, I'd hate to draw any permanent conclusions, maybe it's just a matter of not being used to it.

For our next run though, I'm thinking about going as close to the original 41/30 as possible, skipping Decimate, getting DE back and putting another one in tactics.

Sort of disappointed here. The conflag nerf was a let down, now the new 41/30 drops my dps.

Only time will tell, I suppose.
Old April 16, 2009, 01:41 AM   #7 (permalink)

Character Info
Grimgrum
80 Gnome Warlock
Windrunner US PvE
Guild: Decerto

Some notes:

Remember that Cataclysm no longer buffs hit, so if you were sitting at 368 hit, it's time to stack a little more hit.

The Glyph of Conflagrate makes it so that Conf longer consumes the immolate. WIN, even with the nerf.

My first tryout against the heroic dummy I was getting regular 10K Soul Fire crits, which is fun. The new rotation is going to take a little getting used to.

There are no Glyph of Life Tap on the AH on my server atm, so the recipe must be a drop (Ulduar?)
Old April 16, 2009, 02:04 AM   #8 (permalink)

Character Info
Mahallani
80 Human Warlock
Medivh US PvE
Guild: Imperium

So last night, much to the pain and suffering it caused me(im a loooooooooooong time affliction lock), I started running ulduar as 40/31. My first impression is this: Holy Crap, My conflags are critting for 22k and my incinerate was about 9k. With spellstone, I had 750 or so haste, and it was feeling quick. That said, I dont know if I'm in love with the build. While my damage output was through the roof, I feel like the build is very clunky and my rotation still isnt perfect. As of now it stands:
Immo >>Conflag >> Corr >>Curse of Agony >> Incinerate X3 >> Conflag

and under 25% throw in SF, and I have to agree, boy does that feel awkward. My damage output ranged from 2700 or so on serious moving fights, to about 4200 dps standing still, which actually is a nice buff from my old affliction, though I'll have to test that on patchwerk. I dunno, I'll have to se how things play out when I go in tomorrow.

PS: Even with the nerf, i was still getting between 11k and 15k conflag crits.
--- Information Added ---
Oh and another thing. Why are people putting 3 points into MC? 1 Point was plenty with affliction, and I have 2 just to be safe, but seriously, I'd rather have that extra point into crit IMHO.
Old April 16, 2009, 12:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

Character Info
Seduktra
80 Blood Elf Warlock
Proudmoore US PvE

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimgrum View Post
The Glyph of Conflagrate makes it so that Conf longer consumes the immolate. WIN, even with the nerf.

The post-nerf Conflag is anything but a win. It was the only reason to go 40/31 as opposed to 41/30 (it's definitely not the Imp).

Yesterday's hot fix pushes 41/30 back on top; now the question is...is it worth bothering with Decimate?
Old April 16, 2009, 12:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

Character Info
Luxury
80 Blood Elf Warlock
Deathwing US PvP
Guild: Addiction

41/30 is really not a good progression spec. It depends too much on the Felguard.