The Warlocks Den - WoW Warlock DiscussionsThe Warlocks Den - WoW Warlock Discussions

Member Login
Forgot Password?

Please Register to Remove these Ads

The Warlocks Den - WoW Warlock Discussions » Discussion Forums » Spells, Talents, Pets and DPS Discussion » Got to lvl 50, affliction - now where?

Spells, Talents, Pets and DPS Discussion DoT's and Curses and Nukes, oh my! Discussion threads on everything relating to the Warlocks Spells, Talents, Pets and DPS.

Old September 16, 2007, 11:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

Character Info
HaloDarkStar
70 Blood Elf Warlock
Tarren Mill Euro PvP
Got to lvl 50, affliction - now where?

OK, got my 1st Wow character to level 50, and spent all talents in affliction, details here http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-ta...n=Halodarkstar

Where now to spend my remaining talents till level 70? I'm mainly PVE at present, but do enjoy battlegrounds and plan on raiding when higher level. You can see the rest of my build here http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...n=Halodarkstar if that help.

Many thanks for your advice. Forum been very helpful to date.
SparkiUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Recommended Guide

lb1
Old September 16, 2007, 06:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Character Info
mikee
63 Human Warlock
darkmoon faire Euro RP Profile: Blizzard Armory
Re: Got to lvl 50, affliction - now where?

Either spec to demo for felguard (most say this is better to level up from 50 to 70 then affliction, I'm not sure but I did switch and well I'm stil not sure if I like it better or not.) If you do I would wait till like 55 so you can get imp corruption and most felguard skills.

or go for a 41/7/11 build, if you want to stay affliction.
mike_92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2007, 08:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Character Info
Devicus
80 Gnome Warlock
thunderhorn Euro PvE
Guild: Rise
Profile: Blizzard Armory

I did the above. The felguard is fine but the "oh it's so hard in outlands" stuff is rubbish. Affliction sucks most from 50 to 58 if you're not instancing a lot but it's good the rest of the time. While the felguard is best specced into around 55 so you get more of his skills. Affliction is glorious again from 58. If you like it now no reason to change.

That said maybe it'd be worth a short break just to try it out, though that'll cost gold.

I went for the 41/7/11 + a few route but with the 7 spent differently.
Devicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2007, 09:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

Felguard isn't complete till 56, the level he finally gets Grimoire of Frenzy, his major dps-increasing talent. After that the only Grimoire left is Avoidance, which I think comes at 60 or something, but isn't necessary for just leveling.

However, Felguard, and Demo in general, is the least gear-dependent talent tree. A large chunk of your dps is coming from your FG, and isn't as dependent on Shadow damage as Afflic, or Fire/Shadow/Generic as Destro. I see you have about +150 Shadow/Generic, which isn't bad at 50 with greens a few easy-to-get blues, but it might be worth trying out the Felguard now and seeing how he compares. Just be sure not to pass final judgement on him till he gets Frenzy at 56.

Also, I see you have 5/5 Suppression. Great talent for evening the odds against higher level gankers on a pvp realm, but even then you can get by 3/5. The biggest concern with your current Afflic build is only 1/5 Shadow Mastery, which is one of the best talents in that tree nd should always be maxed out. +10% to all shadow damage, including Drain Life and Siphon Life, is easily worth 5pts.

If you do respec Felguard at 50, skip Demonic Tactics and go with a build like this:

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=IZotczIizcesz

3/3 Demonic Resilience is a must, b/c he takes damage too fast without it. 2/2 Health Funnel is also greatly helpful for grinding, and for helping tank elites, but for pvp realms I always prefer 2/2 Healthstone instead, sacrificing some pve viability for world pvp preparedness and survivability. Just depends on whether you'll be fighting AI that go after your pet, or players who know to go after the warlock.

As for Mana Feed, you have a couple options. Cleave + Anguish eats up mana fast. So you can get 1/3 Mana Feed and turn Cleave off Autocast, hotkey it, and manually micromanage it. Or get 2/3 Mana Feed and leave Cleave on Auto, and get by. Or get 3/3 MF and always have a ready supply of mana for him.

Last edited by fbg111; September 16, 2007 at 09:21 PM..
fbg111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2007, 09:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Also, at 61 I actually prefer a 23/38/0 precurser build, 21/31/0:

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=Iq0rVRbzZotczIiz0xo

Gives you Siphon Life and Soul Link, amazing spell resists with a Felhunter out, and your Drain Life is buffed enough you can drain tank your way to 70. Great for solo-leveling on both pvp and pve realms. Just fill in the rest of talents as you level:

62: 1/5 Shadow Embrace
63: Exhaustion
64-66: 3/3 Demonic Knowledge
67-69: 3/3 Demonic Resilience
70: 1/3 Mana Feed
fbg111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2007, 11:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Character Info
Vuko
70 Undead Warlock
Eredar US PvP

My advice. Go all the way down Affliction to UA. Then put 5 pts in demonic embrace for the +hp. Then work down Dest with improved shadowburn, bane, and shadowburn. True with demo, you arent gear req'ed, but in Outlands, you get gear...its amazing (if you dont know). Spell damage on almost every quest piece you get. No need to go down demo really because your pets aren't going to be able to keep agro from you when you have 5 dot's on them + SBs. Even improved VW. I outdamage my pet so why use it except like FH for resists, etc. I keep imp out because it regen's mana so fast. I load up on a mob, then fear, then dark pact to full mana, then load up on another, fear. then when the first gets back its almost dead, life drain. and continue. never have to eat/drink because im life draining and dark pacting. Then once you start going down dest your SBs start to do more damage and you cast 3 spells with lesser time. add that to another tactic, load up on 3+ mobs, use IHoT, then life drain one while they are Howled, then fear another, then you have 2 mobs on you, easily drain tanked, 1 feared, which by the time it gets back, the 2 on you are dead and youve dark pacted back to good mana pool. I tried demo 2x at different levels and I dont get anywhere near the killing quickness as I do with affliction....

just my thoughts.. gl.

Vuko
vukodlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2007, 11:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

Character Info
Neith
70 Undead Warlock
Thaurissan Oceania PvP
Guild: Clique

Personally i would go with affliction all the way. UA is good, but is not a necessity for leveling up. When you are questing you want to kill as many as fast as possible while minimizing your downtime. Affliction beneficts almost 100% from the +spell damage. Once you hit outlands, as a few guys mentioned, you will get loads of gear with +spell damage. Even the green daggers will be +70 spell damage... LOL

I would advise to forego the +stam, instead get your dots, fel concentration, instant howl of terror and shadowburn asap. DoT up 3-4 mobs, howl, drain life from one, shadowburn another, drain... all dead... dark pact and you back on full mana and full life.... gogogo next pull = zero downtime to eat and drink. At least this is what i did. With dots, you have to keep in mind that they take time to tick, it's not a nuker like a fire mage that could kill a mob with 2-3 fireballs, you will take longer to kill each mob, but you can kill many at once, unlike a fire mage, emphasize on that matter and utilize it.

Additionally, some people mentioned that you can dot the mobs and then sb it - that's a waste of mana. If you dot something up, and you have somewhat sufficient amount of +spell damage - the mob should be dead or almost dead after the dots are done, may be have 500-800 life left max, which is where shadowburn comes in as well as drain life. 3 dots (without UA) and 2 shadowbolts is an overkill and a waste of mana, thus inefficient.

I also don't agree with loads of stam needed for lvlig up. If you're a master of howl of terror multidotting and drain life off 3-4 mobs at once, with siphon life and drain life - you will never die. You might if you accidentally aggro a couple of additional mobs, but you also have an HS, SS and deathcoil - that's more than enough to keep you out of trouble.
Neith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2007, 12:48 AM   #8 (permalink)

Character Info
Pwndzorr
70 Undead Warlock
Blackrock US PvP
Guild: Wardens of Asylum

if you like having to run all over the place to get your loot then go ahead and use Aff build. The most efficient killing machine build is X/44/0. Get mana tap cause your felguard does more damage with mana.
You don't need fear cause you have an awesome tank at your disposal. You can fight crap loads of mobs at once without issue. I used FG from level 50 through to 70 and then kept using him sucessully in PVP until i recently changed to 27/34/0. He can be used skillfully in instances as well if you let the tank get agro 1st. Just through all your dots 1st then send in your FG after that.

I can't say enough how good the FG is. He truly makes us a caster and tank in one, but unlike with Hunters BM spec we don't get nurfed, we get more + spell damage.
pwndzorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2007, 01:53 AM   #9 (permalink)

Character Info
Rubino
68 Gnome Warlock
Aggramar US PvE
Guild: Gnomes and Goggles

Without respeccing, from where you are now. Finish Shadow Mastery next, that's +2% a point, it is a very strong talent. Pickup the other point in Howl of Terror to get instant; so nice in BG and PVE. Next 5 into demonic embrace for some hits.

That gets you to 60, then I'd fillup fel intellect for more DP tapping. If you are running Imp phased, go ahead and improve it next.

That has you at level 66. Then you may want to look to respec to get Shadow Burn and cleanup your afflic tree a bit (are you actually using LifeTap with DP and ImpDS?), and you could shave two off of supression.

I don't like spending on ISB and Bane, myself until I could buy 5/5 in both. Except elites, as afflic I have little use for bolts. But I like the idea of shadowburn. So for me at 68, I still haven't respecced into destro, but I will at 69 when I'll be going back into battlegrounds.
Rubino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2007, 04:22 AM   #10 (permalink)

Character Info
mikee
63 Human Warlock
darkmoon faire Euro RP Profile: Blizzard Armory

Quote:
Spell damage on almost every quest piece you get. No need to go down demo really because your pets aren't going to be able to keep agro from you when you have 5 dot's on them + SBs.
If your are demo speced you will only have 3 DoTs.

And when I have done putting them up the mob is near 50% I just wand or Drainlife and its over.(this is with felguard btw with void it will be different as he hits a lot less but if you have got 41 points in demo I don't think a lot of people will be using void.)

I think you should try demo as felguard he can keep argro really well although not even a hunter Bm pet can hold argro V.S 5 DoTs and SB spam.

Last edited by mike_92; September 17, 2007 at 04:27 AM.. Reason: Spelling.
mike_92 is offline   Reply With Quote