The Warlocks Den - WoW Warlock DiscussionsThe Warlocks Den - WoW Warlock Discussions

Member Login
Forgot Password?

Please Register to Remove these Ads

The Warlocks Den - WoW Warlock Discussions » Discussion Forums » Spells, Talents, Pets and DPS Discussion » Doom and Gloom vs Improved Life Tap

Spells, Talents, Pets and DPS Discussion DoT's and Curses and Nukes, oh my! Discussion threads on everything relating to the Warlocks Spells, Talents, Pets and DPS.

Old October 12, 2010, 07:05 AM   #1 (permalink)

Character Info
When
80 Undead Warlock
Wyrmrest Accord US RP PvE
Guild: Lord of Wyrmrest Accord
Profile:
4.0 Doom and Gloom vs Improved Life Tap

Alright, so speaking as a warlock still at level 80, looking to maximize DPS, which is the better buy for the last two points of this destro spec?

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

If I did mess anything up Glyph or talent-wise, please let me know. I'm still a bit iffy on Conflagrate over Chaos Bolt with the nerf down to 60% Immo damage, but I figure it factored more into Backlash than the action self-damage.

So yeah, any suggestions on the final two points? And of course, the reasons why.
Recommended Guide

lb1
Old October 12, 2010, 09:50 AM   #2 (permalink)

Character Info
Akrab
80 Orc Warlock
Sunstrider Euro PvP
Guild: Warlord
Profile: Blizzard Armory
Talent Tree: Demonology
3.3 Re: Doom and Gloom vs Improved Life Tap

Improved Life Tap over Doom and Gloom

Reason: "Only one Bane per Warlock can be active on any one target"
edit: Assuming Bane of Havoc still deals 15% additional damage if it is on the target you are attacking. I noticed they changed to wording to "other targets".

Last edited by TheAkrab; October 12, 2010 at 09:56 AM..
TheAkrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2010, 11:30 AM   #3 (permalink)

Character Info
Run
80 Human Warlock
Nazgrel US PvE
Guild: Who

Doom and Gloom all the way. You're a mana battery as destro with Soul Leech. You will very rarely Life Tap. Bane of Havoc does NOT deal additional damage to the target it's on, so you'll be using BoD (or maybe BoA on adds?) on at least one target in every boss fight. ILT does nothing for your dps. D&G does something. Thus, it's better for overall dps, which is what the OP asked for.

Notably, however, at least at 80, EJ is finding that putting those two points in Improved Corruption is the way to go, as they're finding that 2/3 talented corruption is a bigger dps boost than the 8% crit to Banes that D&G gives you.

Obviously, this is all moot at 85, but for now, I'd take a hard look at Improved Corruption, with D&G the obvious second choice, before I even considered ILT for my last 2 points.
Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2010, 01:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

Character Info
Lunaped
85 Blood Elf Warlock
Shattered Hand US PvP
Talent Tree: Affliction Demonology

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAkrab View Post
Improved Life Tap over Doom and Gloom

Reason: "Only one Bane per Warlock can be active on any one target"
edit: Assuming Bane of Havoc still deals 15% additional damage if it is on the target you are attacking. I noticed they changed to wording to "other targets".

I think you're looking at the wrong words here.

"Only one target can have Bane of Havoc at a time..." meaning only one warlock need to put Bane of Havoc (the new "CoE") on the target otherwise you and other warlocks can put Bane of Doom (or Agony) on the target.

IMO, put the 2/2 in Doom and Gloom over Life Tap. Increase critical strike chance by 8%, that's a pretty big margin. You already have Soul Leech also... so no need to put it in Life Tap.
Old October 12, 2010, 01:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

Character Info
Dyson
85 Worgen Warlock
Korgath US PvP
Guild: Sovereign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsnup View Post
I think you're looking at the wrong words here.

"Only one target can have Bane of Havoc at a time..." meaning only one warlock need to put Bane of Havoc (the new "CoE") on the target otherwise you and other warlocks can put Bane of Doom (or Agony) on the target.

I am not sure what you mean. Bane of Havoc only works for the warlock that cast it. So if you have two destro locks in a raid and they both want Bane of Havoc for themselves, they will both have to cast it so their respective add damage can apply to the BoH target.
dyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2010, 02:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

Character Info
Run
80 Human Warlock
Nazgrel US PvE
Guild: Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyson View Post
I am not sure what you mean. Bane of Havoc only works for the warlock that cast it. So if you have two destro locks in a raid and they both want Bane of Havoc for themselves, they will both have to cast it so their respective add damage can apply to the BoH target.
^ This.

BoH is awesome in fights with adds for allowing you to damage multiple targets at once. Think of it like destro's version of Soul Swap, another really cool damage-spreading talent. Also, with the new talent Jinx, if you raid with an affliction lock they should be on CoE duty since their CoE will apply to all targets within 40 yards. This is awesome for trash and boss fights alike.
Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2010, 02:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Character Info
Lunaped
85 Blood Elf Warlock
Shattered Hand US PvP
Talent Tree: Affliction Demonology

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyson View Post

Well:

"Only one target can have Bane of Havoc at a time, and only one Bane per Warlock can be active on any one target."

One bane per warlock, but one bane of havoc at a time.

That's how I read it. Am I crazy?
Old October 12, 2010, 02:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

Character Info
Dyson
85 Worgen Warlock
Korgath US PvP
Guild: Sovereign
Re: Doom and Gloom vs Improved Life Tap

No, the one BoH restriction means you cannot take a fight with 3 adds and bane all 3 adds and have your damage to one add multiply to all the others. Thu, a single warlock has to chose which mob to have BoH on.

However, multiple warlocks can all chose to place their singly allowed BoH on the same mob.
dyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2010, 02:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

Destro Locks will be doing Bane of Havoc, Affliction will be doing Bane of Agony, Bane of Doom will be left for Demo. However, in the case of a fight containing only 1 mob, Destro can go to either BoD or BoA depending on fight duration.

Any warlock can cast CoE, however Affliction should be on cast priority due to jinx.

Think of the new Banes like Priest Devouring Plague.

Last edited by Teon; October 12, 2010 at 02:50 PM..
Teon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2010, 02:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

Character Info
Akrab
80 Orc Warlock
Sunstrider Euro PvP
Guild: Warlord
Talent Tree: Demonology
Re: Doom and Gloom vs Improved Life Tap

"Only one target can have Bane of Havoc at a time, and only one Bane per Warlock can be active on any one target."

What it means is a target can still only have one Bane, meaning Bane of Agony + Bane of Havoc on the same target is not possible. It also means that you can have only one Bane of Havoc up. (You cannot put Bane of Havoc on two or more targets at the same time).

Bane of Havoc was an extended CoE a while back as it did damage regardless of who you were attacking. If that were still the case, 2 points in Doom and Gloom would've been pretty much useless. :P