The Warlocks Den - WoW Warlock DiscussionsThe Warlocks Den - WoW Warlock Discussions

Member Login
Forgot Password?

Please Register to Remove these Ads

The Warlocks Den - WoW Warlock Discussions » Discussion Forums » Spells, Talents, Pets and DPS Discussion » new improved soulfire

Spells, Talents, Pets and DPS Discussion DoT's and Curses and Nukes, oh my! Discussion threads on everything relating to the Warlocks Spells, Talents, Pets and DPS.

Old December 02, 2010, 03:18 AM   #11 (permalink)

Character Info
Laotega
80 Orc Warlock
Blackrock Euro PvP
Guild: Adoria
Profile: Blizzard Armory
4.0 Re: new improved soulfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munky View Post
Soul Fire should renew ISF if it overlaps. Already I've come across the problem of preparing for a 2 second Soul Fire cast to land just as ISF drops off... only to have my Imp give me a free instant cast one. If I don't realise this has happened instantly then its a loss in DPS, which is not exactly what procs should do. =/
whats really annoying is that you will loose a free cast if the imp proc happens during the 2 second cast.

i have build a power aura that warns me when there are only 2 seconds left of the improved soul fire buff. in one random ini i noticed that the buff was dropping all the time. if i remember correctly there was a mage, priest, druid and dk in the group.

what spells do overwrite improved soulfire?
washi is offline   Reply With Quote
Recommended Guide

lb1
Old December 02, 2010, 09:39 AM   #12 (permalink)

15% haste increase from ISB is a huge buff that affects not just cast time but also dot ticks and this way conflagrate damage too(if getting extra tick) and you should try to keep this buff up almost all the times, except during bloodlust/heroism because they don't stack. At level 80 it equals actually around 500 haste and not 200, 500 mastery can be worth over 1k dps at level 80. Besides DPET(damage per execute time) of normal Soul Fire is close to normal Incinerate's DPET, and if done right you are able to use instant Soul Fires a lot to keep buff up.

Practically this means that you're haste GCD capped already at 795 (+5% +15% = 50%), but at this point of Wrath of the Lich King I won't recommend anyone to start regemming. However even if you have 1406 haste you should keep the buff up always, it raises your haste from 50% to 72.5% (1.5*1.15) giving another immo tick and much faster incinerates. Yeah it does make the rotation little more complex and the timing need to be right but if done right it's a big boost and makes destro less boring.

At level 85 we need much more points to gain haste % so favoring haste instead of mastery seem to be the way to go for a while in Cataclysm, though int/SP are even better. I think 2679 haste (50% with ISF and 70% with BL) is going to be the most significant thershold for level 85 destro but it's going to take long to get that much haste, and things could still change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by washi View Post
what spells do overwrite improved soulfire?
I'm not sure what would Overwrite it, but I've read that other temporal %-haste buffs won't stack with ISF. This means that during bloodlust we shouldn't try to refresh ISF but other times try to keep it up near 100% time, and that power infusion(priest) shouldn't be used for destro locks.
Spellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 02, 2010, 09:20 PM   #13 (permalink)

Character Info
Devoid
85 Worgen Warlock
Antonidas US PvE
Guild: Almost Ferocious
Talent Tree: Destruction
Re: new improved soulfire

Does anyone know if the ISF aura has to be up before Immolate is cast in order for Immolate (and therefore Conflgrate) to benefit from the added haste? Or does it work like Haunt, giving it's buff to pre-existing DoTs after the DoT is cast.
TheOccult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 02, 2010, 10:14 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOccult View Post
Does anyone know if the ISF aura has to be up before Immolate is cast in order for Immolate (and therefore Conflgrate) to benefit from the added haste? Or does it work like Haunt, giving it's buff to pre-existing DoTs after the DoT is cast.
Good question this is something that should be taken into account. Last time I checked, when immolate cast is finished it takes the haste of that moment and uses it for full duration of dot or until refreshed, so it's not like haunt. This means that it's probably not good to cast immolate right after refreshing ISF because of travel time there's a chance that Immolate is cast at the moment when ISF was not active. My suggested opening sequence: SF > (CoE if needed) > cooldowns+BoD > Immo > corr > conf > CB > inci
Spellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 02, 2010, 11:44 PM   #15 (permalink)

Character Info
Helixir
80 Human Warlock
Suramar US PvE
Profile: WoW Rankings

The prospect of having lock dps balanced around one fire spell at 85 simply sucks - I hope to be enjoying playing my mage as fire by then if it's a competitive spec. No offense meant, unless you're a WoW developer. Forced out of affliction? Damn.
Bap10c4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 03, 2010, 06:18 AM   #16 (permalink)

Character Info
Laotega
80 Orc Warlock
Blackrock Euro PvP
Guild: Adoria

at 85 affliction is the best spec in the latest simcrafts
alls well at the moment at 85
washi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 03, 2010, 01:19 PM   #17 (permalink)

Character Info
Devoid
85 Worgen Warlock
Antonidas US PvE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bap10c4 View Post
The prospect of having lock dps balanced around one fire spell at 85 simply sucks - I hope to be enjoying playing my mage as fire by then if it's a competitive spec. No offense meant, unless you're a WoW developer. Forced out of affliction? Damn.
You're not forced out of Affliction but the level 85 spec that is being used in the 4.0.3 SimCraft does talent for Improved Soul Fire. If I'm not mistaken, that is why it is the current top DPS spec:

The World of Warcraft Armory
Old December 03, 2010, 01:36 PM   #18 (permalink)

Character Info
Neehye
85 Gnome Warlock
Crushridge US PvP
Guild: Critz Savez Livez
Talent Tree: Affliction
Re: new improved soulfire

I've tried searching this and can't seem to find an answer. I see that Destro doesn't have a shadow bolt on it's priority at all. Is the ISB effect considered "Meh"?
ImRorschac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 03, 2010, 02:01 PM   #19 (permalink)

Character Info
Devoid
85 Worgen Warlock
Antonidas US PvE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImRorschac View Post
I've tried searching this and can't seem to find an answer. I see that Destro doesn't have a shadow bolt on it's priority at all. Is the ISB effect considered "Meh"?
It's a great debuff, but only for Affliction because SB is the typical filler spell. To add SB to a destro rotation every 30s would be a DPS loss.
Old December 05, 2010, 04:30 PM   #20 (permalink)

Character Info
Horrorcosmic
80 Undead Warlock
Nesingwary US PvE
Guild: Bedlam

I couldn't find a post on this but did they removed the health requirement for ISF?

I didn't see it in patch notes or anything so i'm just wondering if its a bug or intended.