The Warlocks Den - WoW Warlock DiscussionsThe Warlocks Den - WoW Warlock Discussions

Member Login
Forgot Password?

Please Register to Remove these Ads

The Warlocks Den - WoW Warlock Discussions » Discussion Forums » Spells, Talents, Pets and DPS Discussion » Fear duration in PVE

Spells, Talents, Pets and DPS Discussion DoT's and Curses and Nukes, oh my! Discussion threads on everything relating to the Warlocks Spells, Talents, Pets and DPS.

Old January 10, 2011, 04:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Character Info
Tumorbane
85 Blood Elf Warlock
Farstriders US RP PvE
Guild: Natural Order
Talent Tree: Destruction
Cata Fear duration in PVE

I've searched the forum and others and can't find this answer.

Now that we're doing a lot of PVE crowd control with our nifty glyph of fear, I've noticed that sometimes it works well and sometimes it breaks early. What I want to know is, barring damage breaking the fear (pet attack, splashed AoE), is fear duration random?

A guildie told me that polymorph duration is based on a roll against the caster's hit rating every 3 seconds up to maximum duration. I can't find anywhere if something similar occurs with fear or if it's just randomly sometimes 7 seconds and others 16 seconds. In PvP I see duration has limiting returns but nothing seems to be out there about PvE duration.
Tumorbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Recommended Guide

lb1
Old January 10, 2011, 04:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

Character Info
JeanpaulII
80 Gnome Warlock
RP PvP
4.0 Re: Fear duration in PVE

the only thing i beleive will break fear is damage on the mob

a good way to keep it up is a good focus macro and a passive pet
pinbi7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2011, 04:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Character Info
Vulcris
80 Human Warlock
Fenris US PvE
Guild: End Game Theory
Profile: Blizzard Armory

If your fear is breaking early it's because someone in your group is breaking it.
mdapol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2011, 05:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

Character Info
Tumorbane
85 Blood Elf Warlock
Farstriders US RP PvE
Guild: Natural Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdapol View Post
If your fear is breaking early it's because someone in your group is breaking it.
I thought the same and pointed that out (I'm looking at you, unholy DK in our group...), but one time for instance the feared mob was pretty far away and it only lasted like 7-8 seconds. It made me wonder if there is another mechanic going on.
Tumorbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2011, 05:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Character Info
Biljac
85 Undead Warlock
Blackhand US PvE
Guild: Onslaught
Re: Fear duration in PVE

A good way to know if damage is breaking the fear is a mod called "big brother", from curse gaming, that announce's in party or raid chat who broke it.
Biljac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2011, 05:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Character Info
LockyBalboa
85 Troll Warlock
Sen'Jin US PvE
Guild: The Asylum
Talent Tree: Affliction

Don't forget that there are some abilities/items that cause unintentional damage and cannot be stopped.

Harmlight Token

While this wouldn't explain fear consistently breaking early, many things like this can contribute. As Biljac said, try and addon that should tell you who breaks it.
Old January 10, 2011, 06:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

Character Info
pyssante
85 Gnome Warlock
kargath US PvE
PvP
Guild: sleepwalkers

If you have Recount set to Current Fight you can review the after-fight data and see how many times CC was broken (usually a hunter's pet j/k). Then link it in raid chat with a frown after asking your RL's permission. Or just Whisper it to the proper toons. Kind of "in-your-face", but the problem goes away quickly.

What we do is when needing to fear and/or banish we will "fear/sheep/etc. pull" on group countdown to keep it away from any accidential aoe damage and then banish as banish cannot be broken.

Having a macro that makes your fear target a "focus" and then selecting your "focus" and casting fear, while also putting your pet on passive is a handy macro. Several out there. I just can't stand a 20 second fear and 30 second banish when I get 1 min sheeps on my mage, which only has 1 CC to watch. I haven't had any 20 sec CCs broken early without being caused by misdirected damage so this thing about being hit-related is not familiar to me.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Great minds think alike, small ones never differ.
pyssante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2011, 01:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Character Info
Crewulty
85 Worgen Warlock
Windrunner US PvE
Guild: Templars of the Cross

Could someone direct me towards a good macro for making sure I keep the fear on the target? I've been away from the game for a year and a half and I'm afraid I've lost my previous macros.

Just /focus and then ...?

Thank you.
Crewulty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2011, 03:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

Character Info
Alerath
85 Human Warlock
Aman'Thul Oceania PvE
Guild: Knights who say Nee

Try Cynwise's Battlefield Manual (goggle for the url). Has a great tutorial about using fear in PVE and teh macros. Also has a lot of other great stuff.
Alerath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2011, 04:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

Character Info
Crewulty
85 Worgen Warlock
Windrunner US PvE
Guild: Templars of the Cross

Thank you, Alerath. I'll check it out!

Just for those who are interested in the macro for fear and CC (Thanks again Alerath):

Warlock CC and You: How to Crowd Control Like a Pro in Cataclysm | Cynwise's Battlefield Manual
Crewulty is offline   Reply With Quote