The Warlocks Den - WoW Warlock DiscussionsThe Warlocks Den - WoW Warlock Discussions

Member Login
Forgot Password?

Please Register to Remove these Ads

The Warlocks Den - WoW Warlock Discussions » Discussion Forums » Spells, Talents, Pets and DPS Discussion » Affliction assistance

Spells, Talents, Pets and DPS Discussion DoT's and Curses and Nukes, oh my! Discussion threads on everything relating to the Warlocks Spells, Talents, Pets and DPS.

Old August 10, 2011, 07:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Character Info
Clintok
80 Human Warlock
Silvermoon US PvE
Guild: Summit
Profile:
4.0 Affliction assistance

So I have a couple questions and i'm hoping someone could give me some assistance. They cover a couple areas so i'm hoping i'm posting this in the right place.

The first thing is Unstable Affliction. I've read conflicting arguments for when to refresh. I'm a clicker as oppose to using keybindings. I should probably make the switch but i'm just so use to the way I do things that it's a difficult process. I've been using the Spellflash addon and it seems like theres a gap between when it drops off and when I refresh it.

I'm not certain if that's ideal or if I should be aiming for a gapless transition or if I should be refreshing right before it falls off. I'm also hoping someone can suggest an addon other than Dotimer to help with my dot tracking. Mostly for single target fights. I use an addon called Needtoknow that tracks my buffs (volcano, power torrent, e.c.t..) and I love it. It's nice and big and easy to move around. I was hoping to find something similar for my dots.

The second thing i'm wondering is it beneficial to use Soulburn - Soulfire throughout the fight and whether it's a dps increase or not. I just ran a SimCraft and its giving me an average of 29119 dps with soul fire doing 129 of that damage. With it that low i'm wondering if the three gcd's would be better used with my standard priority.

Lastly, as mentioned above, SimCraft is giving me 29k dps. On my last Baleroc fight I did a little over 25k. 4k seems like a pretty big difference and I did everything I could to limit my movement. I found it a little easier as destruction because there was the opportunity to time more instant cast spells and am really only using fel fire for those quick movement areas. The question is should I realistically be doing damage closer to the simcraft report?

Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to help. I've included the wol report for the baleroc fight.

WOL Baleroc for Clintok

Last edited by clintok; August 10, 2011 at 07:40 PM..
clintok is offline   Reply With Quote
Recommended Guide

lb1
Old August 10, 2011, 08:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

Character Info
Mordicai
85 Human Warlock
The Sha'tar Euro RP Guild: Balance
Profile: Blizzard Armory
Talent Tree: Affliction
4.0 Re: Affliction assistance

Riiight then.

Firstly, changing to binds is hard. I started to change slowly, one bind at a time, then suddenly went in at the deep end and changed my "wasd" to "rdfg", then set all the binds around there. Deep end worked for me and i haven't had the chance to look back :P.

With UA, i aim to finish the cast a bit early, i.e. slightly before it ticks off, so it never goes to the end of the list of debuffs on my target frame. Occaisionally it just goes spot on and you can barely see the transition, but my general rule is to be slightly early.

As for Addons, i personally do not use any sort of timer addon (I use SuF for my frames and have configured it so my addons are slightly bigger if that counts :P ). I just watch them. I know where my debuffs are and i know roughly when theyre gonna need hitting. Can't really help there.

Soulburn I have no idea. Any help also really appreciated here too.

Mordicai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2011, 09:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
jbh

Character Info
jarobh
85 Human Warlock
Terokkar Euro Guild: Jane Doe

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintok View Post
So I have a couple questions and i'm hoping someone could give me some assistance. They cover a couple areas so i'm hoping i'm posting this in the right place.

The first thing is Unstable Affliction. I've read conflicting arguments for when to refresh. I'm a clicker as oppose to using keybindings. I should probably make the switch but i'm just so use to the way I do things that it's a difficult process. I've been using the Spellflash addon and it seems like theres a gap between when it drops off and when I refresh it.

I'm not certain if that's ideal or if I should be aiming for a gapless transition or if I should be refreshing right before it falls off. I'm also hoping someone can suggest an addon other than Dotimer to help with my dot tracking. Mostly for single target fights. I use an addon called Needtoknow that tracks my buffs (volcano, power torrent, e.c.t..) and I love it. It's nice and big and easy to move around. I was hoping to find something similar for my dots.

WOL Baleroc for Clintok
Ahh, you already have it. I use NeedToKnow to track dots.
jbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2011, 12:50 AM   #4 (permalink)

Character Info
Clintok
80 Human Warlock
Silvermoon US PvE
Guild: Summit
Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbh View Post
Ahh, you already have it. I use NeedToKnow to track dots.
So need to know works? I couldn't find a way to track anything other than my own buffs. I'll have to look again
clintok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2011, 02:30 AM   #5 (permalink)

Character Info
Shagina
90 Human Warlock
Grim Batol Euro PvP
Talent Tree: Destruction
Re: Affliction assistance

I've tried loads of different dot trackers, but you know what I've ended up on? Shadowed unitframes, configured so that my debuffs are above the enemy unitframe and combine with omnicc which puts timers on it.
WoWScrnShot_080411_100227.jpg picture by D1RE_IDO - Photobucket

I also added dot tracking to tidyplates, but that's for pvp reasons.
Old August 11, 2011, 05:09 AM   #6 (permalink)

Character Info
Bountyhunt
85 Human Warlock
Blade's Edge Euro PvE
Guild: Sceptic

Lots to reply to Hehe. I'm by no means an expert I mean looking at you your doing more dps than me etc but I also presume your gear is better.

UA - I tend to cast it when there is about 1.x seconds remaining to prevent it dropping off. Remember though, if you are about to start drain soul execution leave it as long as poss as DS refreshes if.

Soulfire - as aff I think its lost its mandatoryness. The dps it provides is low but does that include the upped dps from haste buff?

Addons - you can use neeedtoknow (ntk) to track dots etc but it has a finite number of bars so ntk's use depends on how much else you want to track. You can alter the tracking type by right clicking on the bar, I don't have it in front of me but I think it says something Like 'on player' which you can change 2 Target. I use it for shadow embrace etc. For dot tracking I use button timers. you can display it in different ways, from buttons with numbers on, vertical bars with icons or like ntk as horizontal bars with no icon. Depending on your action bar setup though you may have an issue. Buttontimer bars can be cut dwn I.e tracking 5 dots so all on 1 bar, however this also means the dots need to be next to each other on your action bar. Any questions and.ill try help.

Hope this helps a little.

Robert Louis StevensonScottish author (1850 - 1894)

Last edited by Bountyhunt; August 11, 2011 at 05:11 AM..
Bountyhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2011, 08:41 AM   #7 (permalink)

Character Info
Chula
85 Human Warlock
Shattrath Euro PvE
Talent Tree: Demonology

I do use shadowed unitframes together with FortEX, setting up me<->mytarget as well as focus and 'anything else'. Forte setup as selfbuffs&proc over my SUF , targets, focus & 3rd one showing CoE, S&F + dots above resp SUF.
Old August 11, 2011, 11:31 AM   #8 (permalink)

Character Info
Neehye
85 Gnome Warlock
Crushridge US PvP
Guild: Critz Savez Livez

Button timers, and fortex. Only because I can't seem to get button timers to track shadow and flame. Although I could get it to track ISF when affliction used to put that up. Tidy plates mainly for pvp as well, but it does show timers over the enemies.

As far as SB: Soulfire as aff, Meh, maybe throw it out while moving. I prefer to SB:Drain life my self however, in a need for healing situation, or just so I feel like I get to be a big kid and use Soul burn too.
ImRorschac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2011, 12:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
The second thing i'm wondering is it beneficial to use Soulburn - Soulfire throughout the fight and whether it's a dps increase or not. I just ran a SimCraft and its giving me an average of 29119 dps with soul fire doing 129 of that damage. With it that low i'm wondering if the three gcd's would be better used with my standard priority.
If SImCraft puts Soulburn - Soulfire higher on priority than shadow bolt, then it probably is a small dps gain. But I don't see many affli locks using it, probably best to save soulburn for situations where you need to move or use HS/DL or resummon pet.

Quote:
Lastly, as mentioned above, SimCraft is giving me 29k dps. On my last Baleroc fight I did a little over 25k. 4k seems like a pretty big difference and I did everything I could to limit my movement. I found it a little easier as destruction because there was the opportunity to time more instant cast spells and am really only using fel fire for those quick movement areas. The question is should I realistically be doing damage closer to the simcraft report?
There's just many factors in real boss fight that influence dps, I don't think 4k difference is very much(~7%). Must make sure that you have all the same buffs in raid than on SimCraft and plain luck can make a few k difference already. But you can compare SimCraft results to WoL data and see which spells and details make the damage difference (use max_time=333 to set exact fight length).
Spellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2011, 09:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
jbh

Character Info
jarobh
85 Human Warlock
Terokkar Euro Guild: Jane Doe

Quote:
So need to know works? I couldn't find a way to track anything other than my own buffs. I'll have to look again
Yupp.

You just track dots as "debuff" on "target".

This could help

Destruction Warlock Raiding in 4.0.1 | Cynwise's Battlefield Manual
jbh is offline   Reply With Quote