The Warlocks Den - WoW Warlock DiscussionsThe Warlocks Den - WoW Warlock Discussions

Member Login
Forgot Password?

Please Register to Remove these Ads

The Warlocks Den - WoW Warlock Discussions » Discussion Forums » Spells, Talents, Pets and DPS Discussion » Haste/mastery in MoP 5.1a

Spells, Talents, Pets and DPS Discussion DoT's and Curses and Nukes, oh my! Discussion threads on everything relating to the Warlocks Spells, Talents, Pets and DPS.

Old December 14, 2012, 10:33 AM   #1 (permalink)

4.0 Haste/mastery in MoP 5.1a

As I understood it, Affliction lock should be stacking haste only until the haste break of around 4707* (not sure what percentage that is) and then stacking mastery - I'm taking it as a given that hit is capped.
I've been reading around but I'm still not 100% sure this is still the case, as some websites say that haste and mastery should be roughly equal. I've been unable to equalise them myself - I think I've got haste running at around 14% (a lot higher than the 4707 quoted above) and mastery at 35% or so (non raid gear atm, just LFR and VP pieces). Crit is fairly low (at work atm, can't access armory for exact numbers) and I reforge out of it every chance I get.
I'd like to get my reforging right, but I don't want to have too much haste if haste SHOULD be capping out at the break point.
Any input?

*might be 4717 lol sorry can't check on work pc

Last edited by Sunstorm; December 14, 2012 at 08:47 PM..
Sunstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Recommended Guide

lb1
Old December 14, 2012, 12:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

Character Info
Nymfomania
85 Human Warlock
Zangermarsh US PvE
Guild: Silence In The Air
Profile: WoW Rankings
Talent Tree: Demonology
4.0 Re: Haste/mastery in MoP 5.1a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunstorm View Post
As I understood it, Affliction lock should be stacking haste only until the haste break of around 4707 (not sure what percentage that is) and then stacking mastery - I'm taking it as a given that hit is capped.
I've been reading around but I'm still not 100% sure this is still the case, as some websites say that haste and mastery should be roughly equal. I've been unable to equalise them myself - I think I've got haste running at around 14% (a lot higher than the 4707 quoted above) and mastery at 35% or so (non raid gear atm, just LFR and VP pieces). Crit is fairly low (at work atm, can't access armory for exact numbers) and I reforge out of it every chance I get.
I'd like to get my reforging right, but I don't want to have too much haste if haste SHOULD be capping out at the break point.
Any input?
From what ive seen on icy vains its mastery to haste to hit.

i was comeing to look into this also.
Enemyarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2012, 03:42 AM   #3 (permalink)

Character Info
Olorrin
90 Undead Warlock
Thrall US PvE
Guild: Adversary
Talent Tree: Affliction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunstorm View Post
As I understood it, Affliction lock should be stacking haste only until the haste break of around 4707* (not sure what percentage that is) and then stacking mastery - I'm taking it as a given that hit is capped.
Any input?

*might be 4717 lol sorry can't check on work pc
I am about in the same boat .. 4717 minimum on haste? is there a cap on mastery? or is there a prime % on mastery.. btw i know im a bit over hit cap.. but at 47 and bit of change on haste and roughly 52 percent mastery.. if there is an add-on that would encompass all your gems , reforge's , and stats,, noxxic says this.. elitist's says that .. mr robot says omg.. i am a person who likes to raid.. but don't have alot of time to figure out if i replace this.. what am i gonna have to regem or reforge.. any suggestions on a reliable add-on?
Old December 16, 2012, 10:19 AM   #4 (permalink)

Character Info
Curzalok
85 Undead Warlock
Cho'gall US PvP
Guild: Chain Reaction
Profile: Blizzard Armory
Re: Haste/mastery in MoP 5.1a

The "problem" seems to be that, according to all of the sims I've done on my character, the weights of mastery, haste and hit for affliction are all very close to one another. I can dump everything into mastery, I can hit the first haste cap for corruption and then stack mastery, or I can hit cap to 15% and then stack mastery, and my dps only varies by about 2%.

The value of the three varies greatly depending on your ilevel. I'm just going to copy-pasta from Icy Veins here:

This goes to show that trying to reach the 4717 haste threshold keeps your mastery rating very close to it giving you the optimal DPS increase. Remember, this is the 495 ilvl threshold and should be kept in mind that things change before this (Haste is better) and after (Mastery is better). This does not mean you reforge Mastery into Haste before 495 and Haste into Mastery after 495. This means before 495, you reforge your Crit into Haste rather than Mastery while after, you reforge your Crit to Mastery. Do not sacrifice either stat for the other, but rather your other stats.
Cursalock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2012, 11:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Character Info
Fairness
85 Goblin Warlock
Frostmourne Oceania PvP

A simple way for stats would be:

Int>Spell>(Haste 4717)>Mast>(Haste 4198)>Hit>Crit

If you are close to a Haste threshold, then reforge a bit to meet it. I think most affliction locks keep hit from 13-15%. I'm at 14%+ myself right now. But I might go back to 15% always...as I'm old school and hate not being hit-capped.

I am not a hard-core raider anymore either. I don't care about min/maxing. And so far, everyone I've raided with has been very happy with my dps.
Emarisea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2012, 04:51 AM   #6 (permalink)

Character Info
Preferra
90 Human Warlock
Ravenholdt Euro PvP
Guild: Ironforge Guardians
Talent Tree: Affliction Demonology

Interesting assumption about "most affliction locks" I guess I'm not like "most warlocks", then

I'm at 10.49% hit and 59% mastery (unbuffed) and doing great damage, both compared to guildies and compared to better geared players in Raid Finder.
Preferra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2012, 10:52 AM   #7 (permalink)

Character Info
Scathbais
90 Undead Warlock
Mal'Ganis US PvP
Guild: Adult Swim
Talent Tree: Affliction Destruction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preferra View Post
Interesting assumption about "most affliction locks" I guess I'm not like "most warlocks", then

I'm at 10.49% hit and 59% mastery (unbuffed) and doing great damage, both compared to guildies and compared to better geared players in Raid Finder.
Please don't take this the wrong way (although I couldn't blame you if you do), but there is a big difference between running with 10.49% hit in LFR and Normal/Heroics.

DPS in LFR is hard to compare because some LFR participants ignore raid mechanics while others pay attention to them. Glad you are having success, but please keep in mind you may have to change your reforges if you start to do normal raids.

On a related note, simcraft is showing mastery>hit>haste>crit with heroic gear. This is probably because heroic gear has enough haste on it to get you above the necessary thresholds.
Old December 17, 2012, 12:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

Character Info
shadowboxin
90 Worgen Warlock
mannoroth US PvP
Guild: /hug

I too have found simcraft telling me that haste is better than mastery (aiming for 4717 then stacking mastery), but seeing as how the latest version of simcraft crashes on me unless I drop it down to 1 core, it takes FOREVER to plot reforges @ 10k+ iterations, so I havent played with it much
Old December 17, 2012, 05:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

Character Info
Baldielocks
80 Blood Elf Warlock
Burning Legion US PvE
Guild: Minor Threat

my ilvl is only 484, and have found simcraft gives me best dps result going for the 4717 haste threshold. But in real raids, my dps has not been as good as when I go full haste (around 5800'ish). That being said, the difference is not more than 1 or 2k. We finally downed 10 man Grand Empress Shek'zeer last night after many wipes, and my average dps was 69k using the 4717 haste level.
As far as the hit issue, I run 13 to 14%, and seems fine. Our main raid group (not mine) has a 499 ilvl affl lock that runs only 11% hit, and he does amazing dps. They have cleared heroic msv, heroic HoF, so don't worry about hit as affl. it takes some getting used to but it is definitely a dps increase NOT to hit cap.
baldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2012, 04:59 AM   #10 (permalink)

Character Info
Preferra
90 Human Warlock
Ravenholdt Euro PvP
Guild: Ironforge Guardians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scathbais View Post
Please don't take this the wrong way (although I couldn't blame you if you do), but there is a big difference between running with 10.49% hit in LFR and Normal/Heroics.
I don't take it the wrong way But allow me to clarify my statement: When I do normal raids with guildies, I'm in top 2, and when I'm in Raid Finder, I'm in top 5 - along with much better geared players.
That said, I'm still way behind on gear as our guild is struggling to get enough players to raid every week, and I still have 8 476-items.
Preferra is offline   Reply With Quote