The Warlocks Den - WoW Warlock DiscussionsThe Warlocks Den - WoW Warlock Discussions

Member Login
Forgot Password?

Please Register to Remove these Ads

The Warlocks Den - WoW Warlock Discussions » Discussion Forums » Spells, Talents, Pets and DPS Discussion » Stay with GoSac or go with GoSup for Aff?

Spells, Talents, Pets and DPS Discussion DoT's and Curses and Nukes, oh my! Discussion threads on everything relating to the Warlocks Spells, Talents, Pets and DPS.

Old March 05, 2013, 04:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

4.0 Stay with GoSac or go with GoSup for Aff?

Title says it all really - with the newest nerf of 25% damage increase with GoSac (down from 50% increase pre patch) should we stick with it or go to GoSup and use the Observer?
I'm not sure if that would be 'on par' or sub dps to our current as the pets for Aff don't seem to scale with mastery (unlike for Demo). I must admit I'm tempted to stay with GoSac unless the Observer does more dps than I think it does.
Any thoughts or input from my fellow dark dealers of death?

lb1
Old March 05, 2013, 05:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

Character Info
Shagina
90 Human Warlock
Grim Batol Euro PvP
Profile: Blizzard Armory
Talent Tree: Destruction
Re: Stay with GoSac or go with GoSup for Aff?

Now don't quote me on this, but I believe that for single target the difference was already minimal for affliction. With this nerf to GoSac (which admittedly I think shows how stupid of a choice it was to implement GoSac in the first place when they refuse to let us use it without gimping ourselves) GoSup should be ahead at least until you hit almost full BiS gear when the scaling might cause GoSac to catch up.
Old March 06, 2013, 12:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

Character Info
Ngatayou
85 Gnome Warlock
Khadgar US PvE
Guild: Little Rascals

The change wasn't minimal, but the buff to haunt in conjunction with the nerf almost made up for the loss. It amounted to a 2-3% nerf.

It ultimately comes down to gemming. Destruction and demonology favor intellect over mastery.

Affliction does not. Since only demo's pet scales off mastery, that means that aff is at a disadvantage since the pet is going to deal less damage than either of the other two builds.

As such, I think Aff will still be using Sac, since pets don't scale at all with what Aff stacks: Haste and Mastery.
Tragik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 07, 2013, 08:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

Character Info
marcevil
85 Undead Warlock
skywall US PvE
Guild: paranormal

what about destro gosac v gosup
marcevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 07, 2013, 10:31 AM   #5 (permalink)

Character Info
Morrigenn
90 Human Warlock
Stormrage US PvE
4.0 Re: Stay with GoSac or go with GoSup for Aff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcevil View Post
what about destro gosac v gosup
Totally observational but....

I ran with the Observer/GoSup in an MSV (gearing up new raiders) and was doing about 10-15% more damage/dps than I had before the patch with GoSac through the same fights (with substantially the same raid comp).

Mind you, this is fairly rudimentary, and of course I could be delusional, but it seemed that there was a gain with GoSup--certainly not a loss.

Doing trash in ToT, I was pleased with the pet not doing stupid things around corners, LOS etc so either my remembrance of pet management issues has dulled with time, or there's been some improvement in how they handle.
Morrigenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 07, 2013, 04:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Character Info
Ngatayou
85 Gnome Warlock
Khadgar US PvE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigenn View Post
Totally observational but....

I ran with the Observer/GoSup in an MSV (gearing up new raiders) and was doing about 10-15% more damage/dps than I had before the patch with GoSac through the same fights (with substantially the same raid comp).

Mind you, this is fairly rudimentary, and of course I could be delusional, but it seemed that there was a gain with GoSup--certainly not a loss.

Doing trash in ToT, I was pleased with the pet not doing stupid things around corners, LOS etc so either my remembrance of pet management issues has dulled with time, or there's been some improvement in how they handle.
Well there's a buff in MSV of 10%...so that would make sense.

With that said, the buffs to immolate, conflag, and incinerate should have Destruction with a Supremacy Observer parsing higher than Sacrifice did because despite popular belief, Supremacy was essentially even with Sacrifice before 5.2.

Supremacy is higher than Sacrifice for Destruction.
Old March 08, 2013, 12:36 AM   #7 (permalink)

Character Info
Curzalok
85 Undead Warlock
Cho'gall US PvP
Guild: Chain Reaction
Talent Tree: Affliction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragik View Post
Well there's a buff in MSV of 10%...so that would make sense.
No there isn't. It's a 10% health and damage nerf for bosses, no player buffs.
Cursalock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 08, 2013, 11:01 AM   #8 (permalink)

Character Info
Ngatayou
85 Gnome Warlock
Khadgar US PvE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cursalock View Post
No there isn't. It's a 10% health and damage nerf for bosses, no player buffs.
Regardless, less health will contribute to higher dps since the fights are quicker.

A properly itemized supremacy destro lock should be higher, however, than he was in 5.1.
Old March 08, 2013, 04:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

Character Info
Fairness
85 Goblin Warlock
Frostmourne Oceania PvP
Talent Tree: Affliction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragik View Post
Regardless, less health will contribute to higher dps since the fights are quicker.
I don't think this is true either. It's been my experience that for affliction locks, the shorter the fight, the less we do. Mainly because other classses could burst stuff down before we had a chance for our dots to reach full potential. That...and we benefitted from a very, very strong execution phase with Drain Soul ticks.

Destro is a burst class, however, so I don't think it will suffer from fights being shorter. But, I still don't see how it would do more.
Emarisea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 09, 2013, 12:20 AM   #10 (permalink)

Character Info
Huggorm
90 Undead Warlock
Twisting Nether Euro PvP
Guild: Shock
Talent Tree: Demonology

So how GoSac for Demo then? Saw a lock running with it today and he seemed rather skilled in the say. His main damage ability was harvest life shortly followed by his melee hits and thereafter fel flame. Is this viable? Think he was pulling atleast 15k and im thinking if it might be worth a try.
Huggorm is offline   Reply With Quote